Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Dyno run with Total Performance Turbo kit at 7psi

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Dyno run with Total Performance Turbo kit at 7psi
S-281
¯
Member # 2188

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for S-281  Ford pictures for S-281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey All,

This past weekend I finally got my Saleen, dyno tuned at Apex motorsports by Byron,
with the Turbo T64, at 7 psi with 8 degrees of timing I managed a best of 328 rwhp and 402 rwtrq with a A/F of about 11.1 ~ 11.4.

With the cats there is allot of restriction and the 35 MM tail is too restrictive as well, my boost drops off at the top end due to 7 psi setting on the boost controller. At such low boost the turbo is running below it efficacy curve.

Here the link to the dyno run:
http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~josue/dyno_results.JPG

Here a comparison of my car against a supercharged car:

http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~josue/turbo_vs_vortech.JPG

By the way Total Performance is having as sale on their kits.

--------------------
The first 2000 Turbo Saleen

Posts: 32 | From: Northern Cali. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
328 sounds very low to me, even if it is just 7 psi [Confused]

Your car sure sounds damn nice though.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

S-281
¯
Member # 2188

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S-281  Ford pictures for S-281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
True 328 rwhp is a bit low, but I am very happy with the torque. [dance]

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sounds like VERY SAFE power at least [patriot]

Do you have a pic of your car?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

S-281
¯
Member # 2188

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S-281  Ford pictures for S-281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, here is the link to pictures of the car and the kit

http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~josue/turbo_pictures.html

--------------------

94sssnake aka svt5150
¯
Member # 1237

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94sssnake aka svt5150  Ford pictures for 94sssnake aka svt5150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are you going to do when you have to smog it? I want a turbolocity turbo and have been checkin them out. Where in norhtern cali are you?

--------------------
94 Cobra #2490
Saleen S351 Clone... Too Much $$$

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S-281 - Thanks for posting your results. Great torque curve. That 281ci must feel like a big block.
S-281
¯
Member # 2188

94sssnake

Smog [Big Grin] well I do have the cats and it am not running to rich except off the top end.

I’ll have to find a place that is friendly to modified cars.

--------------------

S-281
¯
Member # 2188

St5150

The car does feel strong; it pulls hard after 3000 rpm. I see full boost at 3500 rpm.

When I originally bought the car I wanted a supercharged Saleen but the MSRP for a SC Saleen was too much, [Mad] so I decided to buy a non-Supercharge car and put a turbo in. [Whoo Whooooo!]

So my goal was to make about the same HP as a supercharged Saleen with fewer boosts, and I think I have accomplished it. I know the boost and tune of 8 degrees of timing is conservative, but that is what I want since I will be driving this car every day, and I want it to last for a while and I want to enjoy the car… [burnout]

By the way I am in SF/Bay Area…
[patriot]

--------------------

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like the torq numbers

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
5150Z28
¯
Member # 232

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5150Z28  Ford pictures for 5150Z28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TQ numbers look good but I would expect a little more HP.

--------------------
2007 Silver Toyota Tacoma DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
1998 Camaro Z28 - SOLD

Posts: 100 | From: Hilmar, Ca | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice job!
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just curious, does the turbo get hot enough to possibly melt the plastic valve cover??? They are really close to each other. [Confused]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you ever plan on upping the boost and timing to see what this thing could really do dyno and track wise [Confused]
By the way congrats on having as far as we know the first turboed saleen [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice!
12-14lbs of boost would make that puppy sing! (we're talking nearly 600RWTQ).
I'd also assossiate the drop-off in power to a restrictive exhaust. Pulling cats on a turbo car will produce MASSIVE power gains at the same boost level.

Currious....did you see max boost on the dyno?
My setup sees 2lbs less at any given RPM on the dyno then on the street.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally, I think too much emphasis gets put on peak hp numbers. A broad torque curve and power at any rpm is what makes a car a blast to drive.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
S-281
¯
Member # 2188

Hey 1Sicgt,

Yes turbo’s will always make more heat that is the only downside to turbos I can think of. [Frown]

I don’t think it will melt the plastic valve covers.

But here is a good story about heat with the turbo, this weekend while driving up the 5 on the grapevine with 100+ degree weather out side and driving really fast up the hill with the turbo working about 5psi , it go so hot that the power steering was not working (my steering wheel was really loose) and the plastic brake liquid reservoir bottle expanded along with the plastic gaskets and I lost all my brake fluid. [Eek!]

The good thing is that I pulled over just when I lost my power steering and that is when the brake bottle gaskets expanded. Once I let the car cool down under the hood, everything was back to normal….

Your right all the hot turbo part are really close to sensitive things like, power steering, A/C, and brake stuff.

The oil (160) and water temp (170) where all normal it just that the turbo heat was affecting the brake reservoir. Some heat shielding should take care of the problem.

S-281
¯
Member # 2188

Hey DropTopFox,

Sorry, not yet, I am not planning on bumping the boost nor the timing for the moment. I just had the car tuned and just want to see how the car handles from now. But you know how things go, my hands will start itching and I’ll start messing with it.

I’ll let you guys know if I change anything.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com