Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » R blocks question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: R blocks question
Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With regular 302 and 351 blocks, I thought the most you should bore them out to is .40 over. That 30 over was ok, and 40 over was pushing it.

Is this ture or false.

Then if it is true, how is Ronnie Wilson (5.0 Mustang & Super Fords October 2003 issue, page 181) able to have a 4.100 bore on his R302 block?

Right now he has a359 ci engine (4.100 bore and 3.400 stroke), and he says he is soon to have a 438 winsor.

Any one able to help me?

Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
false you can go .060 on both i have seen larger than that before too.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
r302 blocks have thicker sleves so you can go with a larger overbore

--------------------

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea cause damn, that guy now has a bore of 4.1, which is pretty cool.

Whats the max overbore with an R block?

Thanks a lot.

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

ive heard of .100 but i dont know of anything bigger than that

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.100 [Eek!] [Eek!] holly s**t! Ive heard of .060 being just fine but heating problems can happen as well as block damage on certain blocks, but damn thats a big overbore!!!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done a lot of 302 blocks and i think .040 is pushing it. Ford says you can go out to .125 on the r block. I have the sona ray check on my r-302 and i can tell you the walls are THICK. The walls on my r-302 are between, .340-.400 thick. The last b-50 block i had the walls were like .095-.125 thick. you get what you pay for. [burnout]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got done boring a R block 4.125. There was plenty of room.

And I also bored my w-block(351) 4.155.

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[burnout]

[ August 25, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

God damn yellow stang, thats a lot of boring. Nice job.

And thnx for all the info guys; bounty hunter vert, jmcclesk, and yellow stang.

BTW, jmcclesk, my 97 F-150 truck is having some issues with the headlights. Any way you could help me. Maybe if I take it into you i coudl get a discount or something? They dont turn on sometimes, and then i have to giggle the windshield wipers lever and they go on, sometimes.

thanks everyone

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Call me i may be able to fix this one over the phone 916-395-6747

--------------------

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

are you able to overbore these R blocks with both the cast iron version as well as the aluminum version? Or going to 1.25 overbore only for one or the other?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com