Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » registration ?'s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: registration ?'s
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a car.
Was gonna be a race car.
The owner doesn't have a pink slip.
The previous owner doesn't either.
Hasn't been registered for 4 years. [Frown]
How can I register it without having to pay for all those years.
I heard i could put a lean on it and it would be mine in 30 days.
What do I have to do to register and put car in my name?

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're going to need to submit an Application for Duplicate Title to the DMV. This is probably going to require bills of sale back to the registered owner (the guy you bought it from and the guy he bought it from). That is going to cost you $7 plus the notary fee on the signatures from the previous owners (~$10 each or so).

That will just get you a new title. Now you need to pay the penalty for it not being registered for 4 years. That is going to cost you a $100 penalty plus 160% of this years registration cost (which could be $$$ with the new registration fees!).

You will also need a SMOG cert. So around another $35 or so plus any repairs to get it to pass.

As for a lien sale, that is used when a business or individual has been stiffed on repair or storage fees on the vehicle. It's a drawn out process and you may still need to pay everything above to get it transferred to you. But you'll need to get the seller to go along with it with you. But, you need to notify the registered owner of the intent of lien sale which may not be the guy you just bought it from. In that case the registered owner can contest it and get his car back! Then you'd be hosed.

All of this information (and more) is on the DMV website. It's chock full of information. Get reading: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/topbuysell.htm

Sean.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn dude!
how about if im military? I dont wanna smog! [Frown] and the car is registered in a non-smog state.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're military then you can register the car in the state YOU'RE from (your legal residence), or the state you're living in, but it'd be tough to keep it registered in the state it originated from. JohnB and I both register our cars from our home states (Florida and Washington, respectivly) to get around smog but being stationed at Travis, you'll either have to have your car smogged to get stickers or 'find a way'.

[Wink]

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot] hehehe, i get your drift, i will keep all my cars registered in Wa, since it was only $38! [Big Grin]
thanks for the info

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com