Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T-5 problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T-5 problem
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just swapped my AOD to a T5. I used a new clutch
set and a new adjustable quadrant. I am possibly
having trouble with adjusting the clutch. The transmission does'nt seem to be disengaging on the first to second shift, It grinds if I don't make sure to press the clutch pedal all the way to the ground and shift into second easily. I drove this tranny in the last car just before I pulled it. It ran fine then. WTF? Anybody with any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, I used ATF, then switched to gear oil,no change. Still the same.

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Loose the gear oil immediately! The tranny is designed for low-viscosity ATF! Also- what shifter do you have? If the stop is not adjusted properly you may not be goin fully into gear. Where does the clutch engage? Try adjusting the cable so it grabs at higher than 1/2 travel.

Hope you didn't put many miles on it w/ the gear oil in it...

[ August 17, 2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL Thats hella funny! I sorta ahve the same problem. I just did a aod to T-5 swap and at first i couldnt get it right so i got the firewall adj and a new quadrent but it still slips. I got the clutch used and i think its just a stock clutch and cant handle the power. I cant get that damn thing to adjust right. I think im going to order a CenterForce clutch tomarrow.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you need to pour ATF back in and then add more tention on your adjustable cable [patriot]
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We aleady tried that. I think the clutch is shot.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Saint:
LOL Thats hella funny! I sorta ahve the same problem. I just did a aod to T-5 swap and at first i couldnt get it right so i got the firewall adj and a new quadrent but it still slips. I got the clutch used and i think its just a stock clutch and cant handle the power. I cant get that damn thing to adjust right. I think im going to order a CenterForce clutch tomarrow.

Centerforce=Garbage!!
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint:

Centerforce=Garbage!!
WHat kind of clutch would you get than?
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats wrong with Centerforce?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buying a clutch really breaks down to personal preference. I personally have had experience with centerforce (sucked), ram (sucked even more), FMS heavy duty (thumbs up), and McLeod (the best!!) I broke the first two, broke the third but it lasted alot longer, and the fourth has been bulletproof and engaged the best and had the softest pedal. Good luck!!
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com