Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Art Carr...Performance Automatic...or TCI AOD rebuild kit? That is the question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Art Carr...Performance Automatic...or TCI AOD rebuild kit? That is the question
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who would choose to buy a rebuild kit if you were having your AOD rebuilt. Here are the kits I am considering from each one. Any and all opinions are welcome [patriot]

Art Carr - Kit $299 1 pc. Input shaft $99 OD "A+" servo $99
Desc :This kit contains ALL the friction plates & steel plates needed to overhaul the transmission. It contains a complete bushing kit, a high performance band, bearing kit, filter, gaskets and seals. The common complaint with the AOD is premature failure of third gear. To cure this we upgrade the direct clutch pack to a New Raybestos Blue six pack friction plates which are better than the “Red” frictions others use and we use the newest design Means steels, verses the inferior Kolene type or stock type steels.
Servo - This is a billet aluminum servo made here in house. The larger apply area increases the 3-4 shifts feel and increases overdrive band life.

PA - Kit $398.24 Hardened input shaft $212.80 Servo 189.93
Desc : A premium seal and gasket kit complemented with Kevlar bands, Alto or Raybestos racing clutches, bushings and various internal parts
Servo : Super AOD servo is perfect for heavy duty and high performance applications. This servo helps to eliminate premature overdrive band failure and delivers better holding capacity. American made and built from 6061-T6 aluminum, you can’t go wrong!

TCI - Kit $245 1pc. Input Shaft $130 Servo???
Desc :a super kit that contains gaskets, seals, clutches, steels, forward bands, adjustable modulator, high volume filter and Trans-Scat valve body modifications, and even a drain plug kit. Contains the same parts and pieces that we use to build the Streetfighter transmission.
Servo - No info.

I know some of these don't have very good descriptions, but with what info I have provided if you have a suggestion (besides swapping to a 5-speed)I would like to hear it. Thanks

[ August 13, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: unfknblvbl89 ]

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Swap to a T5 [Big Grin]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
art carr is my suggestion

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
art carr is my suggestion

I have it narrowed down mainly between them and PA. I called dynamic racing but, we have been playing phone tag so I said screw it. Why make thing more complicated then they have to be.

Who did you use last time? I can't remember.

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

try this guy. he is a major supporter of PSCA racing.
http://www.mikestransmission.com/

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Cool!!! Thanks I will give him a call and see what he's got.

--------------------

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just instaled my Art Carr 10 converter and MVB plus thier input shaft in my AOD. I am now sold on Art Carr plus thier customer service is the best.
Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

2 For Art Carr
0 for the rest

Anyone else?

--------------------

gixxer408
¯
Member # 2454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gixxer408  Ford pictures for gixxer408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by unfknblvbl89:
2 For Art Carr
0 for the rest

Anyone else?

You can try Hughes Performance in AZ (1-800-274-RACE). Mikes Transmissions, Hughes and Art Carr have some hardcore stuff strong enough for 1800+ HP in 6 sec 200 mph cars.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why don't you just buy a used aod off a wreck?
they recently had a real good artical on
modifing the aod with art carr performance products manual valvebody..
in the issue of mm&ff july 2003.
it was on a 88lx running 12's .

good luck with your decision.

street- [burnout]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
why don't you just buy a used aod off a wreck?
they recently had a real good artical on
modifing the aod with art carr performance products manual valvebody..
in the issue of mm&ff july 2003.
it was on a 88lx running 12's .

good luck with your decision.

street- [burnout]

That's what I am doing only its not coming from a wreck. From there I am going to build it up. [patriot]

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call lentech nobody knows aods better than them

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:
Call lentech nobody knows aods better than them

I talked to them some time ago about buying a new tranny from them, but the funds didn't permit me to do so. I will talk to them about rebild kits and what not. Thanks.

--------------------

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heres the difference between the prices. The PA kit parts are made for something that spins higher rpms and will take it better than a car that stays closer to 6000 rpm. Go with the Art Carr I would think. No, I dont know how to rebuild transmissions, but I did sleep at a Motel 6 last night. And I just remembered what the techs told me these different parts did when I was getting mine rebuilt. [patriot]

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
Originally posted by Fast477Mach1:
No, I dont know how to rebuild transmissions, but I did sleep at a Motel 6 last night. [patriot]

Thats funny [Big Grin]

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Do you all think the upgraded servo is a necessity?

From what Art Carr told me the input shaft is with a non-lockup converter. Seems how OD is what always goes out the servo seems like a good idea. Any input?

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

I dont know if I did that already...?

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
I dont know if I did that already...?

Not a problem. If you recall that you did for sure then I won't worry about it, but I will just plan on doing it anyways. If I don't need to buy the part then that just gives me an extra 100 for something else [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com