Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » rebuild 347

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rebuild 347
50PrNcEsSGT
¯
Member # 2308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50PrNcEsSGT  Ford pictures for 50PrNcEsSGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend is going to have his 50 rebuilt to 347 does anybody know a good shop to take it in the east bay

--------------------
BUILD A BRIDGE ...AND GET OVER IT!!!!!!

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how about john b...isnt he looking for side jobs?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd do the install, but I am WAY too swamped to do a shortblock buildup. I am just now caught up from all the jobs I've been offered.
If you want to save some $$$, buy the rotating assy complete..and take the block in to have it clearanced and installed. Most kits come pre-balanced. If you need any info on shops I've dealt with, drop me a PM.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Bounty Hunter
¯
Member # 1422

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bounty Hunter  Ford pictures for Bounty Hunter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try Watson racing engines in Concord. They build some nice stuff! Talk to Mike Blackstone.
turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We do 331's and 347's. If your friend plans on daily driving his car I would recommend a 331. The problem with the 347 as a daily driver is most of the piston pins in the 347 kits intersect the oil groove (due to short pistons) resulting in increased oil consumption. The 347 also puts excessive wear on the rings from low rod ratio. A few companies have kits that raise the oil ring groove above the pin hole, but the catch to these 347 kits is that they cost more $$$, and even then you could still run into the area above the piston crown being so thin that the piston is prone to breaking at the ring lands, if you have even a little detination '91 octane CA pump gas (no guarantee with CA gas). Non-daily driver race motor, you could go 347 due to longevity not being an issue.
The 331 has a better rod to stroke ratio, which is almost the same as a stock 302, which means the side loads on the 331 are almost identical to a stock motor. The other plus is you get the piston pin out of the oil groove due to a shorter stroke. These are some things to think about when building a stroker motor with a 302 block. 351's make better stroker motors. 302's are good up to a 331, after that it's hit or miss as far as longevity. Check out my website for info. on some of the engine building we do (I just finished building a 342 for a customer, right now I'm working on a 351). Hope this info. helps your friend.

[ August 13, 2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: turbo302 ]

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

50PrNcEsSGT
¯
Member # 2308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50PrNcEsSGT  Ford pictures for 50PrNcEsSGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks everybody for your reply [Smile]

--------------------
BUILD A BRIDGE ...AND GET OVER IT!!!!!!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com