Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » So many types of exhaust?? which one is the best

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: So many types of exhaust?? which one is the best
1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys need a little help i am looking to upgrade my exhaust on my 1989 5.0 gt. I am looking for beefy sound, but stay with the high flow cats (legal), i was thinking long tubes with x pipe to turn downs? but i am just confused and any help will be appreciated!! your experience is needed!!! [worship]
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your looking to stay legal don't go with Long tubes, they won't pass visual.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Longtubes are not legal, so you can ditch the cats as well...People on here can hook up the smog. If you want to stay legal you will have to go with shorty headers. Most people tend to like the bassani setup.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

1CLeeN5.0
¯
Member # 2124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1CLeeN5.0  Ford pictures for 1CLeeN5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
which is better though, the shorty headers, the equal lengths or the unequal lengths?
Posts: 67 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Long tubes are the best but if your staying legal I think Equal lengths make about a 1 or 2 hp differnce over the shortys. Its up to you if thats worth the extra money. People believe that equal lengths are hard to replace spark plugs and burn wires but I have never had such problems.

--------------------
Support our troops!

xcessive50
¯
Member # 2995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xcessive50  Ford pictures for xcessive50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want beefy,stick with the h-pipe (x takes away drone)get 2 chamber flows,cut the 2.5" outlet off and weld on 3" or 3.5" turndowns.that'll get ya noticed. (by cops too though) sounds great with a lumpy cam [Big Grin]
J's90-LX
¯
Member # 2987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's90-LX  Ford pictures for J's90-LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i recently installed a bassani catback and it sounds great, as far as mufflers go.

--------------------
1999 Lightning
-4lb pulley,LFP intake,tune

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive had the dynomax 2 1/2" cat back on my car for 12 years or so. It flows well, is not too loud, and not a sign of rust.
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea.. i recently installed some spintechs.. their pretty bad ass..They have a different sound to them.. unlike the others...

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I read once in 5.0 and sf that unequal lengths on a bolt on car make more torque down low. Get an unusual muffler, say the borla xr1's or the bassani real streets.

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

Blownhatch
¯
Member # 167

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blownhatch  Ford pictures for Blownhatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best exhaust is the one that doesnt get you pulled over by a cop [Big Grin]
Posts: 427 | From: Protected Witness | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
J's90-LX
¯
Member # 2987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's90-LX  Ford pictures for J's90-LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blownhatch:
The best exhaust is the one that doesnt get you pulled over by a cop [Big Grin]

[patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
1999 Lightning
-4lb pulley,LFP intake,tune

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
Ive had the dynomax 2 1/2" cat back on my car for 12 years or so. It flows well, is not too loud, and not a sign of rust.

[worship] [worship] Your exsaust sounds sooo great I love it. Sounds very mild right until you punch it! [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
quote:

[worship] [worship] Your exsaust sounds sooo great I love it. Sounds very mild right until you punch it! [Eek!] [Eek!]
and then all hell breaks loose. hahaha
I had the infamous silver t bird along side of me ALMOST all the way down the track once, and i couldent even hear my own car LMAO! [Big Grin]

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
quote:

and then all hell breaks loose. hahaha
I had the infamous silver t bird along side of me ALMOST all the way down the track once, and i couldent even hear my own car LMAO! [Big Grin]

JOHN FORCE COULDN'T HEAR HIS FUNNY CAR OVER THAT T-BIRD!!!! HAHA [patriot]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com