Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » whats next, help me decide

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: whats next, help me decide
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok.. ive procured some breathing improvements(80mm MAF, n/a pwr pipe,80mm TB)and would like some opinion as to what my next step should be. Im also stepping up to a 1 3/4" header. Should i consider a better intake or maybe a cam? or leave well enough alone and focus on chassis/traction devices? or?

[ August 07, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about the new RPM 2? It's supposed to have larger runners and be slightly shorter. From what I've been hearing it sounds like it should match the heads pretty good. If you ever upgrade to a larger cam, I'd do it last.

Regardless of what you do, it's already fast as shit! [worship]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not go 1 7/8" if your upgrading?
What do you 60ft right now? Seems by your time you could use some more suspension. [Confused]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Primer GR40:
Why not go 1 7/8" if your upgrading?
What do you 60ft right now? Seems by your time you could use some more suspension. [Confused]

i could always use some suspension stuff and what i 60ft is not consistant, i think high 1.6s or 1.7s
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
How about the new RPM 2? It's supposed to have larger runners and be slightly shorter. From what I've been hearing it sounds like it should match the heads pretty good. If you ever upgrade to a larger cam, I'd do it last.

Regardless of what you do, it's already fast as shit! [worship]

Aaron, Drew mentiond that intake also. Im not completely sold on that one yet mostly because of limited access to the upper runners for clean up. I will consider and keep it in mind though...thanks for the fast comment
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad you're getting rid of the intake/exhaust restrictions! I don't think you'll see much gain from the headers at this point though. (due to cam design)
I like the intake you have now. Although, I do think an RPM 2 would add ~10hp/tq due to the tappered runners.
I think you should do a (much) larger cam. [Wink]
Perhaps a 232/236 111LSA using the XE lobes.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Glad you're getting rid of the intake/exhaust restrictions! I don't think you'll see much gain from the headers at this point though. (due to cam design)
I like the intake you have now. Although, I do think an RPM 2 would add ~10hp/tq due to the tappered runners.
I think you should do a (much) larger cam. [Wink]
Perhaps a 232/236 111LSA using the XE lobes.

maybe ill let you spec my next cam...no tony curtis stage IIIs for me.
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are trying to make you car faster/quicker, then I wouldn't change anything on the motor until you get your suspension working and start pulling some low 1.5, high 1.4 60's

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm a fan of the Holley intake myself, that and a cam could do wonders. N-71 or N-91 though, lol.
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
365rwhp, n/a....... [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship]
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
If you are trying to make you car faster/quicker, then I wouldn't change anything on the motor until you get your suspension working and start pulling some low 1.5, high 1.4 60's

[worship] [worship] [worship]
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:

Im having a roll bar installed that might change the way the car launches, who knows. Im also considering one of these sway bars(drag bars) whatever there called. I know my stiff front springs are not helping either.
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
I'm a fan of the Holley intake myself, that and a cam could do wonders. N-71 or N-91 though, lol.

are those some of the AFM top secret grinds?
turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
leave well enough alone and focus on chassis/traction devices.
I agree with Jeff S. I think you would benefit more from suspension and chassis work. Remember ET is 60ft, if your car doesn't hook, you won't have a good ET. I would go with a drag bar, spiral bushing upper and lower control arms, torque boxes fully welded, axle tube housings fully welded. If you pick up a tenth in 60ft., it usually transfers to 3-4 tenths by the end of the 1/4 mi. My vote is for making the car hook! With the MPH you have, there's more ET in the car with traction. If you want some ideas check out our site.

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how fast do you want to go?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
are those some of the AFM top secret grinds?

shhhh! [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by blownpny:
how fast do you want to go?

fast enough to hang both front wheels through the 60' mark...lol
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by turbo302:
leave well enough alone and focus on chassis/traction devices.
I agree with Jeff S. I think you would benefit more from suspension and chassis work. Remember ET is 60ft, if your car doesn't hook, you won't have a good ET. I would go with a drag bar, spiral bushing upper and lower control arms, torque boxes fully welded, axle tube housings fully welded. If you pick up a tenth in 60ft., it usually transfers to 3-4 tenths by the end of the 1/4 mi. My vote is for making the car hook! With the MPH you have, there's more ET in the car with traction. If you want some ideas check out our site.

This drag bar you mention, could you describe the benifets and draw backs to such a device? any noise,clunking,vibration on a street car? Please educate. [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com