Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tranny Help!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tranny Help!!
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need some advice or suggestions on a good Transmission shop. I have a Tremic TKO with the pro 5.0 shifter which will not ingauge any gears at high rpms.. Plus the tranny moves when you shift.. I need help... I thought i was just me but i let someone else drive it and he said the same thing.. Would modern driveline be a good place? [Mad] [Eek!]

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your tranny is moving then just check the trans mount...Its really easy to replace if it was a problem...I upgraded to a polyurethane trans mount and it transmits a lot of road noise, but feels a lot better....

Do you have an adjustable clutch cable?...I would check that to make sure its disengaging the clutch properly...I'm sure the "stopper bolts" on the Pro 5.0 are adjusted correctly, right?...If its not the clutch cable or the Pro 5.0 it sounds like your syncro's in the transmission....

Have you checked the Trans fluid?...Its a lot cheaper than a rebuild or a new trany... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you could have a gear set problem, or your synchros (it could be a combination of the two) you should not have a problem engaging the gears at higher RPM's. If you can't figure it out yourself, bring your car to us and we can take a look at it for you. We rebuild 3550's, TKO's, T5's, T45's. If you still have problems, let me know. We're located in Fremont, take a look at my website (transmissions).

[ August 03, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: turbo302 ]

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool im going to try something a guy told me to do... Lift the rear end in the air and start it and push the clutch in and put it in gear.. if the rear tires start to move then that means something with the input shaft and clutch.. which means i might be needing another new clutch even though this one is barly 3 months old.. with no abuse..

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

yea when i put it in first the tires do spin just ever so slighty.. and just a little put when first applied 2nd.. God dammit..!!!!!!!! What should i do??? I really dont feel like buy a new tranny..

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, its plain and simple!....YOUR CLUTCH IS NOT DISENGAGING!....If you have your rear tires off the ground and you put it into gear, you still have the clutch pedal all the way to the ground and the tires start to move, that means that your clutch is NOT FULLY DISENGAGING!...

I'd hate to see you get a brand new transmission and have the same problem, just cause your clutch isnt adjusted correctly...

There is another small possibility...Thats a bad pilot bearing...A bad pilot bearing would not let the input shaft of the trany spin freely...

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Yea well what should i do?? Apex did my tranny and clutch but their not open till tuesday. Ahh im so pissed...

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Do you know if you even have an adjustable clutch cable/quaderant?...

Basically your clutch cable needs less slack, IF its not fully disengaging...

If I were you, I would just wait until Apex can look at your car... [patriot]

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Yea i only have the firewall adjuster... Still stock cable and quadrant.. on a heavy duty clutch..

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

OK, adjust your firewall adjuster so that the clutch pedal "grabs" higher off the floor...If your clutch pedal starts to grab at 1" off the floor try around an 1.5"...

Hopefully that should work..

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Think im going to give bigboyracing a call then go to apex tuesday... I want to get back to the track and run my times. to where i should be.. no 16's 17's..Thats BS..

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Who makes some of the best clutches for around 560 flywheel horsepower?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Star Performance/SPEC..., Maybe a stage 3 or maybe a stage 4.....

I'm running a SPEC stage 2 and its the best clutch I've ever owned... [patriot]

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

cool... Um aluminum flywheel or steel? whats the difference? which one would be best for street/drag..??

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo302:
Sounds like you could have a gear set problem, or your synchros (it could be a combination of the two) you should not have a problem engaging the gears at higher RPM's. If you can't figure it out yourself, bring your car to us and we can take a look at it for you. We rebuild 3550's, TKO's, T5's, T45's. If you still have problems, let me know. We're located in Fremont, take a look at my website (transmissions).

Do you rebuild 3650's? I have one that lost second gear.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

How high of an RPM Can you shift a tremic TKO at? I've heard people tell me that they dont like to be shfited at high RPM's..Is 6200? too high of a RPM?? Confusion sucks... Thats where all my power is but the tranny wont let me shift that high... wtf should i do?? [BS flag] [Mad] [Confused]

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

No one here knows anything about the tremic TKO??? Please help.....

--------------------

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

No one here runs the Tremic TKO? 3550??

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com