Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Whats wrong with my car

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats wrong with my car
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 95 has a recently transplanted 93 5.0 and runs, but not very well. It's running extremely rich, and Im only getting about 6 mpg. My check engine light is on and im not sure why... I do only have one set of o2 sensors installed, but I thought that wasn't a problem on pre-99 cars (MIL eliminators). I also just installed the IAC sensor in my car this morning but I disconnected the battery to clear the cpu and the check engine light was still on.

I don't have a code reader so I don't know what the check engine light is on for. The engine ran perfect before I swapped it.

Oh also I have a 255 lph fuel pump.

Jerm95gt
Diapers
Member # 1239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerm95gt  Ford pictures for Jerm95gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a code scanner........its definately o2 sensors i'd say.....if ur getting 6mpg's

--------------------
I miss you StoplightWarrior :(

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a scanner too- have you messed with the AFPR yet (or does it not have one??). Also, play with that FMU yet?

Edit: did you fix the vaccum leaks too?

[ July 26, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe the fuel injectors are too heavy like around 24-30 lbs instead of the stock 19 lb injectors. Check it out. Stock injectors have the orange colored components like the ring washers and plastic. Red colored are the higher performance.

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The injectors are stock. No adjustable FPR, but Gercolla just installed a 255lph w/o an AFPR with no increase in fuel pressure http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004814 . The vacuum is good as well. The o2 sensors that are installed are the ones from my v6, but I didn't think that the sensors would be different between v6s and v8s in 95. They are kinda old though, and I wouldn't be suprised if they are indeed bad.

JohnB and Jerm95gt, plz check your PMs.

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh here's another Q - if I'm not mistaken, GT Stangs up to 95 were OBDI, correct? My car has OBDII from the V6, but Im not sure if the OBDII port is active or not. Anyone know for sure about this? Or I guess I could find out firsthand today...
67aquafastback
¯
Member # 3090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67aquafastback  Ford pictures for 67aquafastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why did you do a swap from newer to older? Yes the 02s would cause a fuel concern and the OBD2 0OBD1 is a major concern. You need to hook up a scaner and pull DTCs I am sure you have a major communacation problem with the processor. Inputs and out puts are all screwed up = poor fuel consuption

--------------------
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/dougs289/lst?.dir=/house&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/

cheap
¯
Member # 858

I swapped from newer to older because my newer was missing something... oh right those extra 2 cylinders. Im using the old computer and the old engine, but a 95 harness so my dash and whatnot will work correctly. It's coo.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

67aquafastback
¯
Member # 3090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67aquafastback  Ford pictures for 67aquafastback    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
8 is better than 6 the 95 harness may also be a major part of your problem. The 95 is for the 6 cylinder? and now it is hooked up to a 93 8 cylinder? all connectors matched up correctly? If so where there the same number of wires for the pins on the components?

--------------------
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/dougs289/lst?.dir=/house&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Since 1994 Ford made all the mustangs prewired... that's prewired for everything. For example, a bone stock 94+ V6 with no options still has the wiring in place for fog lamps. The computers are different, of course, and the engine harnesses as well, but it's a well known fact that the fox computers can plug straight into a 94/95 GT (A9L, anybody?). I don't believe that is my problem here, unless I happened to miss a sensor somewhere.

The thing that is really nagging me is that my stock exhaust had fore and aft o2 sensors, whereas the H-pipe Im using now doesn't have provisions for aft o2 sensors. So, Im debating whether I want to drill a hole in my tubes for the aft sensors or not.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The rear two O2 Sensors are for the check engine light and Smog. The front two are for your engines computer.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

cheap
¯
Member # 858

ahh didnt know that - but when the check engine light comes on doesnt the cpu kick into 'safe mode'?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can't plug in a '88-93 EEC into a '94/95 with out some wiring work! What EEC do you have in there right now?

[ July 27, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

cheap
¯
Member # 858

The 93, and yes I did have to do some wiring work (mostly because of the coilpack-->ignition coil difference) but the 95's harness was pretty much good to go.

Oh I also had to rewire the MAF (my fault I think, not necessary) and a lot of the connectors (TPS, EGR, IAC etc. etc.). It runs, at least, so I got most of it right.

cheap
¯
Member # 858

My EEC is an A3M, from my 93 GT.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com