Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gonna buy some heads, what do you think?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gonna buy some heads, what do you think?
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum as of today, but would like to ask a question about some heads. I'm interested in purchasing some heads but I'd like to see if anyone has heard anything about this company or their product(s). I"m looking to buy a set of port and polished 4.6 (96-98) heads from http://www.avengercylinderheads.com . I'm getting some 98 production heads, with reground camshafts 208 duration, 112 Lobe Center, CNC porting, cobra valve seats, 5 angle valve job, 99+ springs and just some good ole stuff like that. Does anyone know how this company does on their head work or has anyone got this option before? Their flow numbers are as follows:

INTAKE (don't have exhaust right now, but I know that the exhaust reaches at least 170 at .500 LIFT. I was told these numbers were without the exhaust pipes and that the pipes add 15-20 CFM across the board (does that affect the intake? I dont' know if it would)

LIFT CFM
0.050 30
0.100 55
0.150 82
0.200 106
0.250 129
0.300 150
0.350 165
0.400 177
0.450 188
0.500 199
0.550 208
0.600 211

[ July 24, 2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: GTMustangAlisa ]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They LOOK alright there worth i shot ive never heard anything bad about em. Welcome to the site good luc with the heads.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the site. If you really want more power, think about gettin a 98 cobra motor or a blower. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hear of people making 600 HP with a 2V. ALthough that's not my goal, I'm just fine with 350-450. I know these heads won't be a huge 60 HP increase or anything, but the heads and cams combined with other mods such as my cold air, headers, full exhaust system and all that measly bolt on schtuff you can find, I think their gains will begin to show even more. I have enough money to buy a good majority of the bolt ons offered for my car right, but I'd rather drop the big dollars now on big items and then after that, take 1-2 months to buy EVERYTHING else. (aside from things like superchargers, forged internals or transmissions/engines)

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you happen to have stock head flow numbers to compare with? I have a feeling these heads & cam will put your motor around the 275 rwhp mark.
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
275 hp on that car still isnt that fast. I'd go with the blower and fuel system first. [burnout]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Midlift flow-numbers look good.
I'd advise against re-ground cams though. They take a stock cam & grind it down in a effort to make a larger cam. This means the base-circle of the cam is smaller then stock. Aside from putting added strain on the valvetrain components, it makes setting proper lifter preload very difficult. Lash-caps are the usual remedy, but depending on the installer, they can REALY mess things up. The 2V & 4V heads are very tricky to set up correctly. There are many shops out there that screw it up all the time.
I'd advise getting ported heads & leaving the stock cams in there. Or opting for some new off-shelf cams from Crower or Comp. But even then, it's tricky to setup correctly.
I hear good things about HCI in Sacramento. & have actually seen a very hard running 2V motor come out of there with head porting & cams. (The fastest 2V Mustang I've seen at the track.) They port thier heads in-house.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GTMustangAlisa:
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum as of today, but would like to ask a question about some heads. I'm interested in purchasing some heads but I'd like to see if anyone has heard anything about this company or their product(s). I"m looking to buy a set of port and polished 4.6 (96-98) heads from http://www.avengercylinderheads.com . I'm getting some 98 production heads, with reground camshafts 208 duration, 112 Lobe Center, CNC porting, cobra valve seats, 5 angle valve job, 99+ springs and just some good ole stuff like that. Does anyone know how this company does on their head work or has anyone got this option before? Their flow numbers are as follows:

INTAKE (don't have exhaust right now, but I know that the exhaust reaches at least 170 at .500 LIFT. I was told these numbers were without the exhaust pipes and that the pipes add 15-20 CFM across the board (does that affect the intake? I dont' know if it would)

LIFT CFM
0.050 30
0.100 55
0.150 82
0.200 106
0.250 129
0.300 150
0.350 165
0.400 177
0.450 188
0.500 199
0.550 208
0.600 211

instead of porting and polishing your production heads.. why dont you buy a pair of PI heads along with a PI intake and get them port matched.. the price isnt that much and the differance in performance will be well worth it.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would personally get the 99+ heads and cams....The intake valves are actually closer to the chamber centerline...This has the effect of unshrouding the intake valve, and making better use of the increased valve size....

Dont forget that after any cylinder head up-grade you will need a custom chip for best performance....This is especially true on 96-98's....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I asked that same question when I was calling around. Come to find out that the 96-98 heads actually flow better on the flow bench than the 99+ once ported. The reason why the 99+ headswap packages seem to get so much HP is because that the compression rises quiet a bit and gives you more push on your powerstroke creating more HP and torque. I'm a fan of leaving my compression the way it is until I forge the internals and buy a new block... I just hit 90K miles last week [BS flag] I have plans of a new blcok with forged internals, stock bore/stroke and a nice healthy shot of the laughing gas. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome...if you're already planning on building a motor eventually why not go for a charger now so that way you can use it with the next setup unless you're going way radical...that way you can save the money and time of opening up the motor to spend on a new one completely...also don't get regrind cams i would go with some comp cams if you want more info check this out www.modulardepot.com that site seems very knowledgeable when it comes down to all out performance of the newer gen stangs...good luck [patriot]

[ July 24, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: TRIX02GT ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

I read about the regrinds and the problem with the whole geometry. When I called this company who will be making me the heads, they addressed this issue before I had even mentioning it explaining that they are aware of the problem and know how to get it to work with the regrinds without presenting a problem. The individule I have been talking to over the past week has these heads on his vehicle and is pushing 550 horses (the whole regrind cam concept and all in that beast). I can see though after reading that article how sever the problem could be if it isn't handled correctly. Thanks for the info!

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well i gotta say a lot of the guys on that site run N/A and are in the 12's so they must know wassup! I wouldn't invest in the older gen heads i'd either do a PI swap or buy a blower....IMHO

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:
Originally posted by TRIX02GT:
Well i gotta say a lot of the guys on that site run N/A and are in the 12's so they must know wassup! I wouldn't invest in the older gen heads i'd either do a PI swap or buy a blower....IMHO

[dance] Yep, thats what I would do too.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey give this guy a call hes out of sac and he just got done building my motor. his name is bob johnson and his # is 916 481 9263.nice clean shop and he knows what he doing,he did my 97 motor and im using my 97 heads but i have a lot of work done to them with regrinds. give him a call and tell him chris sent u. [patriot]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know anything about the company you mentioned. I have seen some CNC GT heads that were a waste though. If you get heads that our CNC ported make sure that you look them over well before installing them. The pair I saw had a very rough finish on the ports.

The company had the CNC machine cut too fast so it made the ports look as though they were threaded. Also the CNC will only go so far down the port, this lef a large ridge near the bend that they didn't bother to finish in any way. Lastly, one of the spark plug holes was stripped out. This is an issue with GTs as there are only about 4 threads in the head to hold the plug.

I would vote for the PI heads too. You may want to think about having the chains and tensioners replaced too since you have so many miles on the motor.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you really want to go fast you might want to try some stickers and some black lights?

And dont't forget the huge wing!

1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MINGRYGT:
quote:
Originally posted by GTMustangAlisa:

LIFT CFM
0.050 30
0.100 55
0.150 82
0.200 106
0.250 129
0.300 150
0.350 165
0.400 177
0.450 188
0.500 199
0.550 208
0.600 211

instead of porting and polishing your production heads.. why dont you buy a pair of PI heads along with a PI intake and get them port matched.. the price isnt that much and the differance in performance will be well worth it.
ditto...

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

Posts: 552 | From: Los Angeles,CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com