Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » My brother bought an '02 GT!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My brother bought an '02 GT!!
Dyrti Byrd 2k2
¯
Member # 2860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dyrti Byrd 2k2  Ford pictures for Dyrti Byrd 2k2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's going on?

My brother just bought an '02 GT coupe. I own an LS1 and don't know too much about mustangs or what aftermarket performance parts to buy. My brother would like to start modding his car, but doesn't really know much about anything! Where should he start? What's considered a "basic" setup? It's a 5-speed, in case you're wondering.

thanks

[ July 17, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Dyrti Byrd 2k2 ]

Posts: 76 | From: San Francisco | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exhaust would be the first thing most people do.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Dyrti Byrd 2k2
¯
Member # 2860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dyrti Byrd 2k2  Ford pictures for Dyrti Byrd 2k2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
exhaust would be the first thing most people do.
any suggestions as to what type of exhaust? Bassani?? Flowmaster??
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Long Tubes, shorty off road H-pipe, and flowmaster mufflers. Do all three at once. Then get pullies and a pro 5.0 shifter. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy some Steeda/ASP under-drive pulley's, off-road h or x pipe and a C&L mass air meter...

Long tubes are great, but arent too popular with smog referee's and are a pain to install for a first timmer [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Long Tubes, shorty off road H-pipe, and flowmaster mufflers. Do all three at once. Then get pullies and a pro 5.0 shifter. [patriot]

[worship] Screw the smog ref. There are ways around em.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S-trim vortech, leave the rest to do after you bolt the blower on [Big Grin]
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
S-trim vortech, leave the rest to do after you bolt the blower on [Big Grin]

[patriot] ...if not, don't forget the K&N Air Filter!

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fist off, don't rush. Do some research and figure out what your long term goals are. This will save alot of money in the long run. Read a few issues of 5.0 and MM&FF magazines.

That said, I would mod as follows:

1) Gears. Ratio is a personal preferance, but I'd go with 3:55 or 3:73 on a street GT. If planning on real power in the future, go ahead and get a better differential with 31 spline axles at the same time. This will reduce over all labor costs.

2) Pullies. The non-piggy back type.

3) Exhaust. Need to plan ahead here for the future.

Long tubes are the way to go. They sound great, add some power but are more likely to be noticed during smog. Shorties are not woth the money. Both types are time consuming to install.

A good 2 1/2" X or H pipe. If you get an O/R (off road) pipe it will fail both the visual and sniff test when smogged. Be aware, there are NO smog legal X or H pipes. Only the stock H pipe is smog legal but many shops wont notice during the visual and they will pass the sniff test.

A good 2 1/2" "cat back" of your pref.

3) A cold air induction (CAI) kit of some sort. Get one that places the filter in the fenderwell. These usually come with a conical filter, so if you buy one seperatly first you are wasting money.

4) A good shifter. This will help save the shift forks which are a weak link. I'd reccomend a Steeda Tri-Ax because of the longer handle.

That should get you started in the right direction.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with most everyone that posted but definietly think about where you are going with this street driven vs. track vs. street/strip...on a personal note ive got 2 chamber flows, steeda triax, k&n drop in w/o silencer, a mac prochamber going in next week, and then 3.73's the week after...oh yeah i just dumped the front last night and it looks sick...i'm very happy with everything so far just need to get it to a track [patriot] [burnout]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Dyrti Byrd 2k2
¯
Member # 2860

I appreciate everybody's advice. We're going to look into more examples of "basic" setups and decide from there. The long term goal is to have a streetable "track" car. Not overly worried about smog ref's, but not interested in installing roll cages and 5-point harnesses. He basically wants to hang wid my WS-6 [Big Grin]

thanks again!

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tell him to sell it and get a ws6 [Big Grin]
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Dyrti Byrd 2k2:
I appreciate everybody's advice. We're going to look into more examples of "basic" setups and decide from there. The long term goal is to have a streetable "track" car. Not overly worried about smog ref's, but not interested in installing roll cages and 5-point harnesses. He basically wants to hang wid my WS-6 [Big Grin]

thanks again!

gears,exshoust, pullie, and drag radials
if he wants more thne a 75 dry shot of now with the proper tuneing will be enough to hang with your car

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got some 18 in Y2K wheels that will look hella good on his Car.Asking $900 for them.

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
125 wet kit,4:10's ,long tubes,tri ax,and some nittos...you be pulling hard when you want. [worship]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com