Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need some MASS help.....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some MASS help.....
Robert
¯
Member # 250

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for Robert  Ford pictures for Robert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My ’97 GT engine is bone stock, 62,000 miles with a manual trany.
After running a scan, my local mechanic tells me my check engine light is on because my mass air meter is bad. He says Ford knows that this is a bad part because they have 5 on the shelf.
First off, if he is getting another bad Ford part, should I upgrade to an aftermarket one, if so, any good ones out there? Does size matter (no pun intended)?
He tells me it’s going to take 1.5 hours to change it and reprogram the computer. Now I’m pretty sure I could change it in ½ hour, even allowing time to find my tools, so what is the other hour for? Doesn’t the computer reprogram itself after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting?
Can anyone get the scanner the mechanic has, and are they expensive?
Thanks in advance for your help...
Robert

--------------------
'97 Mustang GT vert,

Posts: 54 | From: One gallon East of San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the mechanic is on crack.. IF the mass air is bad, unless you are changing injectors you shouldn't have to change anything on the computer. Especially if he is talking a stock swap. AND 1.5 HOURS!?!?!? Ok.. well maybe things are different on 97 stangs.. but on the mass air foxes they are nothing!

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, this mechanic sounds shady. What's your car doing or not doing to make you take it to a mechanic anyways?
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who is the mechanic? Give him a swift kick to the nuts.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown GR40 Mystic:
Who is the mechanic? Give him a swift kick to the nuts.

What he said [patriot]

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

Robert
¯
Member # 250

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert  Ford pictures for Robert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, you guys are fast….
OK, here is the whole story….
I bought the car a couple of years ago…. Drive it only maybe 5,000 miles a year.
The check engine light came on during the first year. I let “Mostly Mustangs” look at it, but they didn’t seen interested, then went to “Red Line Auto” and they said “Needs oxygen sensors”, 4 count them, 4. Changed them out, but a few months later, check engine light comes on again, but goes out ever few runs. I learn to live with it….
Last year I installed a cold air induction kit, looked great, didn’t do a hill of beans for performance…
Two weeks ago it starts to stall while driving slow, or coming up to a stoplight. I go to my friendly mechanic (who passed my car on smog even thought I didn’t have papers on the cold air induction) and he tells me that his scanner is saying my oxygen sensors are fine, but there must be an air leak on the intake because both sides of the exhaust are showing lean. He thinks it’s most likely from the cold air kit I put on. I take off the kit,(when I remove the kit I find out my air filter is missing from the fender well) and the stalling stops, but the “damn” light is still on.
Now I’m back at the mechanic, and he scans it again and now says the mass air meter is bad.
There you go….
Good thing I have a spare car…:-)

--------------------
'97 Mustang GT vert,

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW... I agree with the kick in the nutz.. but I would have to do it in steel toes..

Have you tried just reseting your computer since you swaped the cold air, let it relearn the settings? Just unplug the neg cable from the battery for 15+ minutes..

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you decide to get a new meter go with Pro-M [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just a thought but didn't you say the air filter fell off from the fenderwell...maybe you sucked something up into the mas air and threw it outta whack??? [Eek!]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ctake it out and clean it. the try to restart your computer. i belive the way to do that is to disconnect the battery.
and 1.5 hours for a maf swap is retarded. its like 10 mabey 20 minutes.

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Changing the MAF = 15 min tops.

Having to "reprogram the computer" for a stock MAF swap = [BS flag]

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could we have the name of this shop?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Robert
¯
Member # 250

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert  Ford pictures for Robert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, it’s becoming obvious why the shop needed to have my car for 20 minutes to reset the computer.
Here is what has happened in the last few days. On Friday the check engine light went out while I was driving, I think that is a first. I disconnected the battery all night on Friday, and have been driving it more than usual (doesn’t hurt that it’s so nice ourside) since then without the light coming on. We’ll see, sometimes it would take week before the light would come back on.
The name of the shop is:
Motoring Performance
1433 Mazda Drive
Walnut Creek

Robert
¯
Member # 250

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Robert  Ford pictures for Robert  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a mass air meter for sale on ebay off a '02. Would that work on my '97
Thanks

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com