Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » random cooling/running temp. question???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: random cooling/running temp. question???
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my Tahoe like two weeks ago the H20 pump went out so I basically replaced everything, pump, radiator, all the hoses (even an oil cooler line and heater hoses).

So--- after the install the temp seems ok, but it would run from about 180 to damn near 240.... and it would rocket back to 160, and then gradually up to 180, where it would start the cycle all over again.

Really annoying.

anyways, so I bought a 180 thermo, and noticed the thermo had no bypass holes in it so I drilled a 1/8" hole in the thermostat. I also replaced the bypass hose (the one I was using was just heater hose and it was kinda kinked 'cause it wasn't happy making a quick 135 degree turn). So... cut to the chase.

Running at WOT in the heat, up a hill, I can't get it to go higher than 160 degrees. Idle parked with the A/C on is 150, freeway cruise is around 150-155 max.

WTF? That's too cold right? Was it the 1/8" hole I drilled?

Should I just put a stock 195 thermo in there?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put in a 180 with no 1/8 in holes in it that should fix the problem [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shade-tree, remember when i took my car to your house last year? i have the same problem with my 96- the temp is just unstable, specially on hot days! everything has been replaced-except the 2heater hoses at the firewall. i might have to try the 180 t-stat and replace those hoses. thanks for the idea. i hate this hit and miss diagnostics!! specially when no one else, even dealers have a clue what cause is.
i'd go back to stock t-stat. try that and see if it works. let us know...good luck

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drill 1/8" holes in all my T-stats to help bled off the air that gets traped behind the t-stat...I've never had a problem...

Its possible that the first time that you installed the water pump, you didnt bled the coolant system properly...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it was definitely bled properly--- I wasn't losing any coolant and put well over a 100 miles on it when it was topped up and doing the 160-180 degrees becomes 240 and back to 160 again routine (maybe 5-10 mintues a cycle on the freeway--- never a problem at idle).

Anyways weird. I guess I'll fill the 1/8" hole tonight and see if that increases the temp a little. Running around at 150 degrees all the time can't be healthy.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Verify your guage with a real thermometer before doing anything.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My temp sending unit crapped out on my LX- temp would vary a lot, then settle down to the low end. I replaced it and it now reports correctly.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have thermocouples or anything... do you think taking the temp with a regular thermometer at the radiator cap is good enough? If I unplug the ECT sensor I'll cause a leak I believe when running (maybe not). What do you think?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got one of these "wireless" theremometers, but have no time to deliver:

-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com