Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Where are the torque boxes loacted on a foxbody?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Where are the torque boxes loacted on a foxbody?
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where are they, and what are some methods of reinforcing them. Thanks.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is where the upper control arms are bolted into. Get a friend or someone who knows how to weld and put some small beads around the box to reinforce it. Do not put a full bead because if it still rips, the whole bead could rip too. Little beads spread out are stronger. [patriot]

Battle Boxes will also help about thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Torque boxes are on the chassis where the upper AND lower control arms mount...

Quick88 LX is right about the multiple beads, a sigle weld will rip easier....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out the two pictures of my torque boxes at the bottom of this album page: http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/b?KEY=6&ACCOUNT=842

That will give you an idea of where they are and how they rip! The are the rear part of the sub frame where the forward mounting point for the rear lower control arms. You can see my Max Motorsports LCA to the left and the rip just to the right of the LCA.

Battle boxes are being welded in for sure!

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sean90GT~Do you know when your torque boxes ripped?...Where you launching hard or cornering hard?....I'm kinda interested, 'cause I was planning on getting the MM lca's...

I wish I had a pic of, TRY2PAZ's Vortech 99 red GT's upper torque box...He was able to rip his passenger upper torque box completely off!!!...So much for the factory spot welds...He had a nice 1.6 60ft and 11 second pass when he broke his... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Battle Boxes [worship] [worship]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it make a difference or would it be better to have t box rienforcements welded in before sub frame connecters?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure when it happened. Could have been either launching or cornering. Of course it could have been barking second every chance I get...or maybe it was chirping third...or it could have been... [Big Grin]

It won't matter if you put in the short subframe connectors. But if doing the full length I would think you would weld in the battle boxes first. I have the standard (short) Max Motorsports subframes and I have room for the battle boxes.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not waste the $$ on battle boxes. They are not needed, in order for them to work to their maximum potential, they still require welding and bolting (and they're a pain in the @#! to install). Dave Wolfe of Wofe Racecraft has been fully welding torque boxes for over 10 years on the Mustangs and has not had one customer come back with a problem. In order to take care of your torque boxes so they can handle the stress of drag racing and road racing, they must be fully welded, not spot welded. I know a guy who tried that, the torque boxes ripped up and I had to fix them. You also need a reinforcing plate on the bottom torque boxes. You've got to have your welder adjusted to the right heat range for the thickness of the material you are welding. Why Ford made the Mustangs with the torque boxes spot welded, I don't know! I would not recommend taking your car to a muffler shop to have this done, in order to do it properly, the control arms have to be removed from the torque boxes (a muffler shop will not know this) this is a little too involved for most muffler shops. I do not have battle boxes on my Mustang, I fully welded my torque boxes, and I pulled a best 60ft of 1.39 and I average mid 1.4's all the time. I have not had one single problem with my torque boxes. For drag racing and road racing, (due to the sticky tires and the hard shock of the launch) getting the boxes welded up is a must, if not, eventually you will destroy them. If you're running low 13's or high 12's and running on a drag radial, ET streets/slicks, I would recommend getting your torque boxes done. Especially if you changed your control arms. For you hard-headed guys out there who think you don't need your torque boxes done, your luck will run out eventually. Sub-frame connectors also help take some of the stress off the body because they don't allow the chasis to twist as much, standard sub-frames are fine. If you're interested in having your torque boxes done properly (or want sub-frame connectors installed) I can do both.(I can repair damage boxes also) Do not forget about fully welding your axle tube housings. I have the lower torque box reinforcement plates, the round tube steel sub-frame connectors (which has a tensile strength of 60,000 psi) I have the round tube type on my Mustang, and I have the low profile rectangular tube connectors (standard length or full [for the real low Mustangs]) all in stock. I stand behind my products, and my welding work is top quality.
- Sorry for the long post, just trying to help the Mustang guys out.
turbo302
10.20 at 133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication

[ July 14, 2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: turbo302 ]

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com