Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Which Roll Bar

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Roll Bar
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to be putting a 8 point roll bar in my car since the interior is already out might as well do it now. Which company should I go with? I heard S&W is good and Art Morrison seems to have quality stuff anybody have any suggestions. Thanks in advance

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanted to know that same question. I don't know which one to buy anyone can help us out that would be great

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
most people are happy with http://www.cachassisworks.com

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown GR40 Mystic:
most people are happy with http://www.cachassisworks.com

[worship]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about the roll bar package that Jegs sells? All you have to do is have it welded in. Is that a good deal or what?

--------------------
Support our troops!

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
What about the roll bar package that Jegs sells? All you have to do is have it welded in. Is that a good deal or what?

yeah it is a good deal if you are looking for deals in safety [Roll Eyes] but most of us dont put roll cages in for looks. jegs does NOT guatantee their tube thicknesses, but chris alstons does !!! also have you priced out the shipping charges to have your jegster roll cage shipped to california?? Chris alstons is up in sacramento, which most of us are only about 1-5 hours away from. i have installed 3 chris alston cages, never had any problems, i would recomend them highly to everyone!

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the reply, next time leave out the smart ass comments. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Support our troops!

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm surprised you didn't bring up Maier Racing Rob. They are in Hayward and will do a custom cage for you however you want it. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got the cachassiswork 8 point its good stuff [Big Grin]

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
Thanks for the reply, next time leave out the smart ass comments. [Embarrassed]

All he was doing is trying to help you out by saying that they aren't safe.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
I'm surprised you didn't bring up Maier Racing Rob. They are in Hayward and will do a custom cage for you however you want it. [patriot]

definetely true there Ryan, Mike Maier is the king of cages. [worship] but from how i read the post, the person seemed like they wanted to buy a cage and put it in themselves. Maier does all their stuff by hand, so they cant sell you a cage, because each one is hand fit to your car.

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought the chassisworks 8pt bar for mine and will hopefully be installed within a week. They did a boat load of CHP cars for the academy..that should say something about their quality. FYI, it weighs 105 lbs. for a fox.
turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maier Racing does quality roll bars/cages; however, they do not do swing-out side bars (or pull out bars) which are NHRA and IHRA legal and very convenient (and they only offer powder coating [$$] no paint options[?]). Most of us Mustang guys are street/strip type guys, when we run down to the store for a slurpee, you don't want to have to jump over the bar like a pro stock driver (this will get old with time). [Mad] And I don't think your girlfriend or wife will like the idea of riding in your car. I'm speaking from experience (been there, done that). The Chasisworks roll bar is a nice kit, but do realize it is straight bars only (no swing-out bars, bars are not notch). If you do buy that kit, you can fabricate it for swing-out bars but it has to be done right or the bars will not unpin or swing-out properly, this is not something I would recommend doing yourself unless you have experience with fabrication. One mistake and the bar is ruined.
I have (in my 10sec. Mustang) a 6-point roll bar with swing-out and pull out bars that I installed, it's a really nice and convenient set-up. (Some of the forum members have seen my roll bar set-up.) As far as the roll bars/cages, I do custom roll bars for your application, or I can install another company's product and fabricate it for swing-out bars, or leave it straight. Straight bars are an easier install and therefore cheaper. If you like jumping over the bars to get in the car, [Wink] I have no problem installing them in your Mustang. Powder coating or painting are optional. I'm working on my website, it should be up shortly and will have all the install and product information that I offer for the Mustang & the late model Camaro. (I am an automotive welder, fabricator, and performance engine builder.)
turbo302
10.20/133mph
Big Boy Racing Fabrication

[ July 11, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: turbo302 ]

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
www.bigboyracing.com

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Forgot to mention, that 105lbs is with swing out both sides. Im hoping this guy will do it right.
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S&W race cars makes great cages. i got one for my car and i love it. i also have the swingout kit from them which i think is a must have. [patriot]
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ON N2O:
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:

definetely true there Ryan, Mike Maier is the king of cages. [worship] but from how i read the post, the person seemed like they wanted to buy a cage and put it in themselves. Maier does all their stuff by hand, so they cant sell you a cage, because each one is hand fit to your car.
Yea I just was curious About a reputable company that builds quality roll bars that fit well. I am putting it in myself. thanks for the info

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine is a combination of bars from 2 different companies. The roll bar is from Art Morrison and the cage portion is from Wolfe Race Craft. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the Wolfe prenotched crome moly setup. It is pretty much hold and weld with their prenotched kits. The chrome moly is more expensive but is much lighter than the mild steel bars because the wall thickness can be thinner than mild steel. Fitting a roll bar/cage setup and notching the tubes can be a giant PITA, especially if you don't have a notching fixture for your drill press. I would never do another one myself if it weren't prefit and prenotched. Anyway, Wolfe is at http://www.wolferacecraft.com/default.aspx

[ July 12, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turbo 302 how much would you charge to install a cage in a 91 hatch an 8 point with swing out bars

--------------------

turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turbo 302 how much would you charge to install a cage in a 91 hatch an 8 point with swing out bars
1SLOWLX,
It all depends on what type of roll bar/cage you want (there's a difference between a roll bar and a roll cage), are you looking to do a 6 or 8-point roll bar? (Which is good for 135 & 10.00) which is what most guys are looking for. A 6 or 8-point roll bar is usually plenty for a guy that's running 11's or 10's. You don't need a cage until you go 9.99 or over 135. If you let me know which set-up you are looking for and we can talk about a price.
turbo 302

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
www.bigboyracing.com

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much for an 8pt bar in an 86 t top GT? [worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

just an 8 point roll bar for my hatch. I really want the swing out bars let me know

--------------------

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also would reccommend the wolferacecraft roll cage. Take a look at their web site, shows a couple of pics. The cromoly is nice but it must be tig welded(more expensive labor). Cromoly saves 30-40lbs. While your at it pick up their rear anti-roll bar.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com