Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cluch chatter

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cluch chatter
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car started to make a rattling noise, like something loose and rolling around in a gutted cat. Well, I have the stock pipe on, so I think its ok. So Could it be cluch chatter? If so, what causes it, and how can I fix it? thanks.

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can feel clutch chatter. Does your car shake? Does it only happen when taking off from a dead stop?
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well It does it all the time. cluch in or out. Rolling or not.

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
You can feel clutch chatter. Does your car shake? Does it only happen when taking off from a dead stop?

my friends does it from a stop. what does that mean?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown GR40 Mystic:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

my friends does it from a stop. what does that mean?
It means the flywheel isn't engaging completely with the clutch and the two are literally SKIPPING on each others surface. Usually a sign of a worn out clutch or sometimes more than that. You will definitely feel clutch chatter. It feels like a damn earthquake underneath your seat! [Eek!] At any rate, replacing your clutch and resurfacing your flywheel will solve that problem for your friend.

BLACK88GT: As for the constant noise, like the constant rattling or whatever you have, I am not sure about that one. Does it effect your drievability? What does it FEEL like when you are sitting in the car?

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black88GT:

Then its not clutch chatter.....Clutch chatter is caused by the flywheel having an un-even surface to clutch plate on a clutch assembly...Its normally caused by heat spots, metal to metal or forgetting to re-surface the flywheel after a new clutch install...

If the car makes the noise at idle, then put it on jack stands and go under the car and listen for it....Try to isolate if its the exhaust or if its the driveline/clutch.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im glad i found this. post. well my 95gt has been making noise lately when i get into gear. like when i go to reverse push the cluch down then put it up. and as i put it up.. i a thump noise.. just one thump.. but its loud enough for me to hear and feel. what does it mean? do i need a new cluch. o yeah its an everyday driver too.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Then its not clutch chatter.....Clutch chatter is caused by the flywheel having an un-even surface to clutch plate on a clutch assembly...Its normally caused by heat spots, metal to metal or forgetting to re-surface the flywheel after a new clutch install...

If the car makes the noise at idle, then put it on jack stands and go under the car and listen for it....Try to isolate if its the exhaust or if its the driveline/clutch.... [patriot] [/QB]

quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:

BLACK88GT: As for the constant noise, like the constant rattling or whatever you have, I am not sure about that one. Does it effect your drievability? What does it FEEL like when you are sitting in the car? [/QB]

Thanks for the input. Ill have to look at it this weekend. It sounds a little like part of the exhaust is loose, but I dont hear an air leak. Thanks again.

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the heat shields on the cats. Sometimes they will come loose and start to rattle around. They can be tack welded back in place or some people get a big ass hose clamp and tighten it down around it.

If that's not it try taking a rubber mallet (or even use the heel of your hand) and give your cats a soft whack to see if they rattle inside. Just don't come back here telling us how you just whacked your cat! [Razz]

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My Cobra is doing that right now also. A few months back i had to put the Stock exhaust set-up back on for smog. Well, the pipes had been sitting for a VERY long time (could of rusted up), who knows how bad it could of got in the inside. Well, now i have to take it back off because i think the screens in the cats have broke and are stuck inside rattling. Its not my clutch or flywheel.
Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by siri95:
im glad i found this. post. well my 95gt has been making noise lately when i get into gear. like when i go to reverse push the cluch down then put it up. and as i put it up.. i a thump noise.. just one thump.. but its loud enough for me to hear and feel. what does it mean? do i need a new cluch. o yeah its an everyday driver too.

Does your gear shifter rise up when you hear the thump? Sometimes that could be a broken tranny mounting...

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for a spun balancer too, I had similar symptoms, turned out to be the balancer. Just an easy thing to check, also loose driveline bolts.
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black88GT:

Based on what you said above, you do not have clutch chatter. Its something else.
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com