Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tranny Question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tranny Question?
90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my tranny is leaking where the tranny & driveshaft connect.could it be the seal or something else.

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rear tranny seal. Its common.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
90 Stang5.0
¯
Member # 2710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 Stang5.0  Ford pictures for 90 Stang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it easy to replace

--------------------
"Keep Your Friends Close But Keep Your Enemies Closer"

CLAUS
¯
Member # 2069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLAUS  Ford pictures for CLAUS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90 Stang5.0:
is it easy to replace

yes

--------------------
New License Plate Frame:

IF MY MUSTANG WON'T BEAT YOU
NORMAN'S WILL!!

special thanks: Chris Molinari

Posts: 156 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta pull the drive shaft out, some transmission fluid will drain a little...Then just pull out the seal and install a new one....Make sure you top the transmission fluid up by the Check/fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just replaced mine last night. Of course it was a piece of cake since thet tranny was already out of the car to replace the clutch.

The seal was $10. Pry the old one out with a screwdriver. Tap the new one in. I used a piece of PVC pipe over the seal and a hammer on the PVC pipe to tap it in. It was over in minutes.

As Black94 5.0 said - Drop the drive shaft. You'll need a 12 point 12mm socket or wrench for the drive shaft to rearend bolts. Make note of the two yellow dots on the drive shaft at this connection. You'll want to reinstall with those marks lined up again.

Sean.

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pry the old one off with a screw-driver, hammer the new one in gently/evenly and your done. I've done 2 of them
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com