Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » E-303 cam

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: E-303 cam
jonjones80
¯
Member # 2963

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonjones80  Ford pictures for jonjones80    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sup guys I am looking to put a bigger cam in my explorer. Do you guys know where I can get a e-303 cam? And how much it would be installed? Thanks guys.

--------------------
Hmm Which way did he go

Posts: 34 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can probably find one in the for sale section. 93pony might be able to install it for you as well.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a new one, www.summitracing.com will be hard to beat. If you want to save $20, go with the TFS-1 cam, you'll notice no difference between the two. You'll need new valve springs as well [patriot]
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Explorer with stock heads.....
You'll need new valvesprings/locks/retianers.
The E303 will work....I wouldn't recomend the TFS1 as it's not really a torquey cam. Summit sells a valvespring upgrade kit under TFS for ~$125. Another cam that would work would be the Crane 2030 or 2031, either will work. The 2031 is ment for 1.7's, & as such will become a little smaller with 1.6's. Or you could go with the 2030 which will act a little larger then the 2031 with 1.6's. Both cams can be bought with an entire (I mean complete!) valvetrain package for a fair price.

I can do the install too. I'm located in Sac.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
jonjones80
¯
Member # 2963

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jonjones80  Ford pictures for jonjones80    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a couple of guys that got the e cam and they didn't do the valve and other stuff right away. Shouldn't the gt-40 head be fine?

[ July 09, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: jonjones80 ]

--------------------
Hmm Which way did he go

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Really depends on the condition of the valvesprings. Stock GT40 valvesprings are rated at 90lbs seat pressure. This is a bit low for an E303. 110lbs seat is what I recomend for the E.
On my 25K mile GT40 head, the valvesprings tested at 60lbs seat. This is entirely too low for the E.

The E is a slow-ramped cam....you may be able to get by without doing the spring now, but you will most likely run into valvefloat problems later. Valvefloat hammers the valvetrain. Makes takeing off the springs MUCH more difficult as it hammers the locks in the retainers.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

SLiM JiM 156
¯
Member # 2753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLiM JiM 156  Ford pictures for SLiM JiM 156    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
While your talking about cams.. i dont know if u know anything about 4.6's.. but do you think w/ stock heads and stock intake any aftermarket set of cams would give my car more power? Or would i need to get PI heads first?

--------------------
1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Posts: 156 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
jonjones80
¯
Member # 2963

93pony how much out the door for cam and everything needed to get it to run fine and installed by you? And how addition wear and tear does all this cause on the engine?

--------------------
Hmm Which way did he go

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLiM JiM 156:
While your talking about cams.. i dont know if u know anything about 4.6's.. but do you think w/ stock heads and stock intake any aftermarket set of cams would give my car more power? Or would i need to get PI heads first?

Get the heads over cams for sure! This isn't even up for debate on a 4.6.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jonjones80:
93pony how much out the door for cam and everything needed to get it to run fine and installed by you? And how addition wear and tear does all this cause on the engine?

Let him do the work, well worth it.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by SLiM JiM 156:

Cams will help, but you have to remove the heads to install them...might as well get the good heads. There is a problem however... The valvetrians on SOHC/DOHC motors are VERY tricky to setup correctly. Most shops screw it up all the time. Imporper setup can cause engine faliure. I don't see many hard running ported heads/camed 4.6's around...

jonjones80: Check PM's.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com