Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car ticks until warm?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car ticks until warm?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car makes a ticking noise when on the gas and when the car is cold? Just started a few days ago. When the car gets warm it goes away and runs like champ.

leak? oil? weather? timeing? gas? motor? ping?

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Possible valve train noise? Hydraulic or solid cam/lifters? Solid cams/lifters make noise when cold, until the metal expands.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stick your head under the hood and see if you can "pin-point" the noise better.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Stick your head under the hood and see if you can "pin-point" the noise better.... [patriot]

That is kinda hard to do as it only does it when on the gas, in gear and under load. Doesn't do it at idle at all and when in nutral on the gas not so much.

What are you up to tonight Black94 5.0? [Big Grin]

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ July 08, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: FordPny ]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
header gasket?
get a piece of hose and put it to your ear then run it across the flanges on the headers.
you'll hear it then if thats case.
or a lifter .

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. When I had an exhaust leak it sounded like a loud ticking and it was only under acceleration. I took the tube from my vacuum cleaner and stuck it in there and within about 10 seconds I had it pin pointed. Good luck

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by AcesWild85:
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. When I had an exhaust leak it sounded like a loud ticking and it was only under acceleration. I took the tube from my vacuum cleaner and stuck it in there and within about 10 seconds I had it pin pointed. Good luck

did you do that under idle or did someone rev them otor up for you?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm guessing your motor has a lot of miles on it. I say change the oil and use some thicker stuff. If that doesn't fix it then you prolly got a valve tick [Frown]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem, I changed the Header Gasket and the ticking was gone!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar problem once.... it was a loose spark plug [Eek!]
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I had a similar problem once.... it was a loose spark plug [Eek!]

I haven't never even looked at my plugs yet and I've owned the car almost a year. [Frown] I'm not even going to start the car until I get new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and header gaskets. Thanks for all the help! [patriot]
biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its nothing more than an exaust leak, change the header gaskets.
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

ooooook about a month and a half ago I replaced my header gaskets with MAC copper header gaskets. The exhaust leak I had went away after the install. The ticking that I'm getting now is different than before and goes away. When I had the leak over a month ago it would never go away. Could it just be a smaller leak? Could the copper gaskets be shitty? Friend of mine told me "don't put that shit on your car", when I bought the copper gaskets. I did't listen, what is the best heat resistant gaskets to get? Also when you instll header gaskets that aren't copper is there some sore of sealant to use on do you just slap those puppies on their? AAAAAAnd one more question, does anyone have locking header bolts they would like to part with?

I'll shut up now. [Razz]

Cobra 427
¯
Member # 755

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra 427  Ford pictures for Cobra 427    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could it be the dreaded "Death Rattle" - aka: piston slap?

I've heard this when cold and reving over 3K...

Good luck,
Randy R...

[ July 11, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Cobra 427 ]

Posts: 95 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com