Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » idling problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: idling problem
Roush3
¯
Member # 2638

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush3  Ford pictures for Roush3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 96 gt mustang my problem is with a intermitten high idle problem. this happens when i come to a stop. the idle shoots up to 1500 for about 6-7 seconds and then drops back down to about 800. it also has a problem rpms hanging when the motor is reved. Ford diagnosed the problem as a intake manafold vacum leak. i replaced the intake and still have the same problem. Next it was diagnosed as a bad IAC valve, new IAC and still the same problem. Motor was vaccum leak tested by ford and showed no leaks. the next step was replacing the PCM, and still the problem. If anyone has any input let me know.

--------------------
2002 Roush stage 3

MoostangGT
¯
Member # 2894

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoostangGT  Ford pictures for MoostangGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you done any mods to the car?

How long has it been happening?

Minor things like checking the voltage on the TPS, cleaning the throttle body, IAC, and EGR on stock cars seem to take care of those issues.

--------------------
Sabrina aka The chick in the cow print pants.

Posts: 106 | From: Redding, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are the mods on the car? 96 was the first year of the 4.6 right? Our 98 Cobra comes with an idle motor and if that goes bad sometimes it will hold the idle up.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can pretty much gauruntee its not the EEC. Have you tried the TPS sensor?
95still5.0
¯
Member # 2994

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95still5.0  Ford pictures for 95still5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be your clutch or your injectors because your fuel filter is dirty.

--------------------
Abel Ibarra

Posts: 56 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com