Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Eliminating quad shocks

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Eliminating quad shocks
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard it mentioned a while back that if you buy aftermarket control arms that you can get rid of your quad shocks. Can you still get rid of them if you box the stock control arms as such:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/controlarms/

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
General rule of thumb is: its okay to run with out them as long as you don't experience wheel hop.
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just an added point that they or something that compesates for the loss of the uppers (like a panhard bar) are needed for handeling corners.

Besides controlling hop the uppers help to control side to side motion of the rear end. They dont do a real good job of it because by design they bind. This controls the side to side but hurts the dampening control.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quad shocks are there only to help with wheel hop caused by axle wind up.....Getting rid of the quad shocks will not make you corner any better or worse, but it will increase wheel hop with stock control arms and stock bushings...

Replacing the stock control arms with stiffer bushings helps reduce deflection caused by the rubber bushings, that way reducing wheel hop..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ack.... Sorry my bad. I was thinking of the upper control arms.... [Eek!]

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there even any benifit at all to removing quad shocks?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Norcal95050
¯
Member # 2941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcal95050  Ford pictures for Norcal95050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need to remove em if your gonna change susp to a coil-over, (or you have to reverse em)

--------------------
2000 gt - built block, kenne bell sc, t56, full Maximum Motorsport suspension.

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pitch em!
Jim
¯
Member # 2848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim  Ford pictures for Jim    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy a panhard bar, then junkem [patriot]

--------------------
Jim

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took my quad shocks of and got wheel hop like crazy.. im putting them back on this week. I will be getting better controls armes down the line but for now.. i will stick with stocks..

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com