Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to Break in New Gears

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Break in New Gears
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tomorrow morning Im getting my 3.73s installed in Santa Clara. What is the correct way I should go about breaking them in. Im racing at Sacramento Saturday night so I want to get 500 miles on them the correct way!
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The heating and cooling process is what is important not miles themselves. To heat up the gears and then slowly cool tempers and strenthens the gears. Basically drive around come home sit for 2 hours, then go drive around again do that a few times (3-4) and you will be good to go.

I had my gears installed saturday morning and was racing on them that night.

Have fun with them [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I notice you have an AOD, go with 3.73's NOT 3.55's.

3.55's will make you feel [Frown] but 3.73's will make you feel [Smile]

Trust me [patriot]

Oh and for your next mod get a good set of Drag radials either Nitto or BFG and get a torque converter that stalls no lower than 3,000 rpm's [dance]

[ June 30, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: 91sleeper ]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

dbl post. [Frown]

[ June 30, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: 91sleeper ]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

Trust me [patriot]

isnt that what he said?

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got 3.73s! You said, "drive around". How long should I before letting them cool?
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by Blown GR40 Mystic:
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

Trust me [patriot]

isnt that what he said?
My bad I skipped over that part in his post, I looked at his signature and it says 3.55 soon to be installed. That's what I went off of.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by blue88lx:
I got 3.73s! You said, "drive around". How long should I before letting them cool?

I'd say 20min. Doesn't take long for them to heat up. Make sure you give like an hour or two for them to cool off though. [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blue88-- have you ran @ the track before? If so what times? Also what tires will you be on sat. night? We might be a good run
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How funny, I just finished breaking mine in [Smile]
I take it you're going down to Rearend Specialties?? I can summarize what the paper that they gave me for breaking in the gears says.
Basically for the first 100 miles you can only drive it 15-20 miles at a time and cannot drive it over 50mph. You have to stop and let the differential cool for 30 minutes after every one of these short 20 mile trips. They stress that you go easy on them. For the next 400 miles you you have to keep your speed at 65mph and under, still taking it easy on them. And that's pretty much it.
You don't know how happy I was to finally hit the 500 miles, now I don't have to drive around like a grandma. Have fun

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry double post......

[ June 30, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: RioredGT ]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its funny, I had Rearend Specialties put in two gear sets and both made a whining noise...I made sure I followed the break-in instructions too!!!..

The next place I had install my (current) gears told me I could drive it "however I fuckin wanted"!!...The owner of the shop even drove with me on the freeway to make sure that they didnt whine...I havent had any problems and they dont whine at all...

I would make sure to change the fliud after a few hundred miles just to get the metal shavings out from the gears breaking in...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if they were installed right u dont need to break gears in
50PrNcEsSGT
¯
Member # 2308

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50PrNcEsSGT  Ford pictures for 50PrNcEsSGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I got mine installed he told me to drive it around try not to go on the freeway I think once u hit a certian mph they start to spark n e ways drive it around on the streets for awhile then after about 500 miles I would change all the fluids this is what I was told to do and did and mine have been fine so far. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
BUILD A BRIDGE ...AND GET OVER IT!!!!!!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Its funny, I had Rearend Specialties put in two gear sets and both made a whining noise...I made sure I followed the break-in instructions too!!!..

The next place I had install my (current) gears told me I could drive it "however I fuckin wanted"!!...The owner of the shop even drove with me on the freeway to make sure that they didnt whine...I havent had any problems and they dont whine at all...

I would make sure to change the fliud after a few hundred miles just to get the metal shavings out from the gears breaking in...

Yours wern't shimmed properly.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by y2kgt01:
if they were installed right u dont need to break gears in

Don't know about that, if you don't do many heat up and cool down periods your gears will not become tempered and they will be weak. Go run slics at the track and well see if you break some teeth off. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

What place did you take it to?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rather than having them heat up and cool down slowely in the car, why doens't the manufacturer just heat treat the damn things before shipping them?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:

It says in his post rear end specialties. [dance]

--------------------
Support our troops!

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

[Wink]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:

I took it to Bay Area Specialties in Fremont....Sal, that USED to own the shop had a couple of 10 second cars...He also had a 9 second Willy's pro-street blown big block that he drove to work every day.. [worship] I figured this guy knew what he was doin....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is something to ponder about gear break-in:

Why doesn't Ford tell you to do any special break-ins when you buy a new Mustang? [Big Grin]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com