Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can anyone help with 3g & elec fan install?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can anyone help with 3g & elec fan install?
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I went and had an early christmas at the pick-n-pull and got a 3g alternator and electric fan (both from a 3.8L taurus). The alternator is pretty dirty; is there a way to check if it is good? Anyway, thats all i have for the switch over. I don't have the correct tools, knowledge or parts (yet) to do this by myself so if anyone is available to help me with the installation I'll fund the purchase of your favorite beer [Big Grin] I'm not lazy, i'm just not 21.

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What part of LG are you at? If there will be a lot of hot LG blondes walking by, I'll give you a hand with the 3G [Smile]

If not, just follow these instructions:

http://www.racesystems.com/3gproj/index.htm

Bring the alternator to any parts store and have them connect it to their alternator tester to see if its good.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just read your post again.... 3.8L Taurus? Its probably a 100A not a 140A alternator, and I'm not sure of the mounting holes are in the right position to use with the 5.O brakets. A 94/95 GT alternator is ideal.
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to see those ditzy blondes just head down to starbucks at blossom hill and LG blvd any time [Razz] You can hardly throw a rock without hitting one. Anyway, the car had like "Taurus 3.8 V6" or somethign right there on the upper intake and there wasn't a single 94/95 mustang at either yard i went to but i read in some 3g upgrade article that the alternator mounting holes are supposed to be 180 degrees opposite each other (which they are) and on the back there is a red plug where the fat wire hooks up and it says 130A. I'm guessing that means 130 amp

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Hmm, interesting. If the brakets are 180 degrees apart, you'll probably be fine. I just noticed the 94/95 GT's power wire is one guage thicker than the Taurus's so I figured the Taurus alternators have a lower output. Either way, even if its only a 110A alternator, it will be plenty for your electric fan.
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

i'll take it to kragens or A&M and get it tested. I live right behind swanson ford btw. So can you help with the install can ya can ya huh huh!?!?

--------------------

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Got the alternator tested and it is good! So can anyone help? Anyone at all?

--------------------

N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Los Gatos how close is that to Martinez ?

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N0SL050:
Los Gatos how close is that to Martinez ?

Hee, Los Gatos is on South Hwy. 17 right before it becomes two lanes at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains. About an hour and 45 minutes from Martinez.

I should know, I live in Lafayette and travel up that way all the time. [Razz] Sucks having all my friends live in the South Bay.
[Razz]

Teddy

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

No time this week, plus where you live isn't even close to blonde-ville Los Gatos, personally I don't even consider it LG even [Wink] With that said, if you lay all the wiring and do the mounting, I *may* have time next week to just solder the wires and heat shrink them.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com