Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AOD rebuilds

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: AOD rebuilds
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to have my AOD rebuilt what are some of the things that can be done to say I guess "mod it" I.E. wide gear ratio, shift kit, different valve body.

Anyone have any other ideas or opinions (besides swapping to 5 speed.)

Is the wide gear ratio worth it, and can it be done in an AOD.

What about putting a "better" or "stronger" valve body in it. Is this worth it.

This will be setting behind a rather stock motor until the day comes for the new setup, which then a stronger all around C4 or AOD of some type will set behind it.

If anyone has any recommendations or thinks I should stick with a "stock" rebuild any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance

--------------------
SOLD AS OF SEPT 19TH 2003

Posts: 1187 | From: Sunny SoCal | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go ahead and go with a Lentech transmission AOD. No reason to throw an aftermarket full manual vave body and shift kit in the stock AOD when you can just buy it all at once already assembled from Lentech and you can also choose what stall converter you want. They have stronger one piece input shafts and the valve body is great. After that all you would need is a transbreak [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Talk to Lentech, Art Carr, Level 10 or Alternative Auto. Those guys all have built AOD's that are running behind some seriously high HP cars.
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have talked with Lentech a couple of times. I have my mind made up on what my new combo and transmission will be, but until I can afford to put it all together I am just kind of looking for something to get my stang back on the road and something a little more than just a stock tranny. That make sense?

Thanks for the input!!! [patriot]

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a real stall converter on there if you want to make the T5 guys look bad: 4,000 RPM [Smile] Anyone that tells you its "too high" is the enemy and doesn't want to see your AOD car perform well at the track. Anyone that tells you 4,000 RPM is too high and doesn't own or never owned an AOD Mustang is the 5 speed enemy and should be ignored because they don't want to see an AOD car do well [Big Grin]
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's a street car go with a 3,000 stall converter and a shift kit from either b&m or trans go. I wouldn't upgrade the valve body if you plan on getting a new tranny in the near future.

--------------------
Support our troops!

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had my AOD built with a performance automatic rebuild kit and a hughes 3000 non lockup converter. It was used to commute 60 miles a day and still performed well. If it will be a cruiser around town with a few stop light ventures then rebuild it with a converter. If it will see at least 50% track time install a C4 and be done with it. I dont see paying 3200.00 for a Lentech AOD when you can spend that same amount on a tremec set up that will last longer but wont be consistant at the track. My 2 cents...

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for stitch  Ford pictures for stitch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey thanks for the replies everyone! I think I got what I was looking for.

Basically a good rebuild kit, a shift kit, and a stall converter.

What about the wide gear ratio? No one has said anything about that yet. Thanks again [Smile]

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by unfknblvbl89:
Hey thanks for the replies everyone! I think I got what I was looking for.

Basically a good rebuild kit, a shift kit, and a stall converter.

What about the wide gear ratio? No one has said anything about that yet. Thanks again [Smile]

What gear do you have now? What tire size do you have as well..

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

I have stock gears for the time being. Once the tranny is done I will be throwing in an Auburn posi unit, 4.10's, and 31 spline axles with 5 lug. Then I want to put on some chrome Bullitt's, so I don't know what size of rubber yet.

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
Originally posted by unfknblvbl89:
I have stock gears for the time being. Once the tranny is done I will be throwing in an Auburn posi unit, 4.10's, and 31 spline axles with 5 lug. Then I want to put on some chrome Bullitt's, so I don't know what size of rubber yet.

Stay with the stock gear set. The low gear ratio will hit the tires too hard and you will spin more than you would if they were stock. One of the benifits of the AOD is that it leaves nice and predictable.

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

Are you saying to stay with the stock gear set in the tranny or the rear end. [Confused] Sorry you confused me there.

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Stock gear set in tranny....and 410 in the rear end [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

READ PM

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
Stock gear set in tranny....and 410 in the rear end [Whoo Whooooo!]

Sounds good [Cool] I thinks that's what I will do I haven't heard much about anyone using that wide gear ratio. Was kinda curious about it.

So stock gear rebuild kit, shift kit, 3k or 4k stall.

--------------------

stitch
¯
Member # 1522

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
READ PM

Back at ya!!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com