Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » carbon fiber repair

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: carbon fiber repair
bmxer
¯
Member # 1222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bmxer  Ford pictures for bmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was on my way to the body shop to get the hood pins installed, and my hood flew up. it just put a small dent in the roof, but it cracked the hood 3" and some small chips. is there anything i can do to fix it? like bondo or something, or should i just take it to a shop?
Posts: 212 | From: cerritos, ca | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
4.6GT
¯
Member # 2643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6GT  Ford pictures for 4.6GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
CAR 2002 mustang GT 5spd
254rwhp/305 ft lb torque N/A

Best E.T
1.93 60ft 13.1 @105

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can repair it... the area that was cracked will need to be reinforced though. Go to Tap Plastics and get some medium wieght fiberglass cloth and some 30 minute epoxy. You will need to take the hood off of the car so that you can work on it. Now with the hood sitting on your work table upended (inside of the hood facing up) - ruff up a 12" x 12" area underneath the crack with some 100 grit sand paper and then clean the area with some acetone (be careful - this shit will strip the paint off of anything it touches). Now using a small paint brush, paint a thin layer of the epoxy over the area that you just sanded & cleaned. Then lay about a 6" square piece of fiberglass cloth on the area (rubber gloves would be nice here) and make sure the cloth is flat & completely saturated with the epoxy... you may need to paint the mixxed epoxy over top of it. Repeat this with a larger piece of cloth (8"x8") over the top of what you just did for added strength. After this has cured (about 24 hours) you can use bondo over the top of the crack and sand smooth.

I should add that I am guessing that the hood was made using epoxy instead of a polyester based bonding agent. You might want to check with the manufacturer of the hood to be sure... but you will find out on your own if you don't as epoxy will not cure on polyester - and you'll wind up with a big mess instead of a fixed hood.

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com