Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel Pump replacement

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel Pump replacement
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How hard is it to replace my stock Fuel pump in my 1997 GT? I've basically figured that my old pump is starting to go out, and not supplying enough pressure (But volume is good). I'm also gonna replace my FPR.

What is a good brand for Adjustable FPR's?

Teddy / Nick

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont' knwo about a 97 but on my 87 it was very straight forward. I'm sure you could figure it out with a friend thought. Just a couple bolts, couple clips for the fuel lines, and a couple more for the fuel filter and then that's pretty much it.

As for FPRs, everyones is pretty much the same price, I guess it's just a preference on color. I run an aeromotive, but I hear Kirban's are really good.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
'97 is just like a 5.O:

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/fpinstall.html

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a piece of cake. If you are going to do it I would recommend pickinp up a new filler neck gasket. They are only like $15 from Ford and they tear very easily. They are often in need of replacement and you don't even know it. Mine needed it when I swapped my pump. It's the rubber donut gasket that joins the filler neck to the tank.

Now, If I were you I would replace the FPR first and if that doesn't cure your problem then do the pump. The FPR is much easier to do than the pump. Plus, when a pump goes out most often it will be able to supply pressure but not volume (the opposite of your problem). But when the FPR goes it will not maintain pressure.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
It's a piece of cake. If you are going to do it I would recommend pickinp up a new filler neck gasket. They are only like $15 from Ford and they tear very easily. They are often in need of replacement and you don't even know it. Mine needed it when I swapped my pump. It's the rubber donut gasket that joins the filler neck to the tank.

Now, If I were you I would replace the FPR first and if that doesn't cure your problem then do the pump. The FPR is much easier to do than the pump. Plus, when a pump goes out most often it will be able to supply pressure but not volume (the opposite of your problem). But when the FPR goes it will not maintain pressure.

Okay, that was my first thought anyway. Might look for a Kirban or Aeromotive AFPR. Any good place for one to look?

Nick

--------------------
Vista Blue Metallic
Shaker 500 Stereo

4.6GT
¯
Member # 2643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6GT  Ford pictures for 4.6GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
CAR 2002 mustang GT 5spd
254rwhp/305 ft lb torque N/A

Best E.T
1.93 60ft 13.1 @105

Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

I have volume, but not enough pressure coming into the Fuel rail. Someone said this was the pump. Plus the damn thing is making a lot more noise than usual. Any place I can get a good replacement pump for a decent price?

Teddy

--------------------
Vista Blue Metallic
Shaker 500 Stereo

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com