Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any car audio experts here?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any car audio experts here?
RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How would I wire speakers to get a 2-ohm stereo load with a pair of speakers that are 4-ohm each? Wouldn't I need another pair of 4-ohm speakers?? I'm confused...

[ June 14, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: RioredGT ]

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Correct to get 2 ohm stereo you need 4 speakers, 2 4 ohms make a 2 ohm load. You could run 2 4ohms mono but thats only for subs. otherwise you will have no left and right separation.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on how you wire them.

In a series circuit the total resistance of the circuit is computed
R1 + R2 = Rtotal
so
4 ohm + 4 ohms = 8 ohms.

For a parrallel circuit it is the inverse of the invers of each leg of the circuit.
1/(1/R1 + 1/R2) = Rtotal
1/(1/4 + 1/4) = Rtotal
1/(0.25 + 0.25) = 2 ohms

If wired in series two 4 ohm speakers would be 8 ohms.

In parralel, two 4 ohm speakers would be 2 ohms.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. Here's what I'm trying to do, maybe you can tell if I what I'm thinking is correct.

I want to use a 4 channel amp to power 1 (4ohm) sub, as well as front and rear speakers(both pair 4ohm). I plan on bridging the rear speaker outputs of the amp for the sub since it produces more power at 4 Ohm mono. Then I want to use the front speaker outputs of the amp for both the front and rear speakers. Using the left front amp outputs for the front speakers and right front amp outputs for the rear speakers.

From what you guys told me, I would wire the front speakers in parallel as well as the rear speakers in parallel. Once again like I said, using the left front amp outputs for the front and the right front amp outputs for the rear.

I know the imaging is going to suck but it's for a friends "hoopty". Do you think it would be better to use the deck's speaker outputs for the rear instead and just use the amp for the front speakers??

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In short, I would use the deck to power the rears like you said.

The long version. Unless you are working with high end equipment, which it doesn't sound like you are. You do not want to put a 2 ohm load on it. 2 ohms is basically a short and will probably destroy the amp or the speakers or both. The reason is current increases proprtionally to a reduction in resistance.

I(current) = E(voltage)/R(resistance)

So with just a 12 volt peak the amp would try to produce a 6 amp signal to just 1 leg. This would be 72 watts. Keep in mind the vast majority of car audio manufacturers advertist peak power handling capability. Where as home audio equipment is usually RMS which is peak X 0.707.

The low cost transistors in an inexpensive amp can't handle the current load.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey bro there is two ways to do it with what you got. 1...wire the rear speakers to the deck, the fronts to the amp 4 ohm left and right, and then mono out the sub or 2... the way most people do it on a budget is run the sub on the rear amp channel mono and you take the front left and front right and put them together this creates a 2 ohm load which your amp can handle in stereo .the two front speakers should be ran to the front left channel of the amp..yeah i know no fader ablilty, but hey your on a budget.. now take the two rear speakers and put that together and put it on the front right channel of the amp.. most amps can handle a 2ohm load in stereo but not in mono.. If your still confused call me at work i install this shit for a living.. seven years now.ask for Shaun.. 1(650)343-8388

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Once again, thanks guys!
PurpleNotch, I think you've stated exactly what I wanted to do. Like I stated in my previous post I just wasn't sure If I could get away with it.Thanks,
BTW, your car is sic!! I saw the pics from the cruise a few months back. Are you going to put it in the upcoming show??

Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This brings up a question I had about wiring up an auxillary amp for running a pair of subs in the 1997 Mach 460 System. Is there a way I can make a bridge connector between one of the bass amps in the back for the system to wire into the inputs of the Aux amp? Or do they already make such a connector?

Basically, I'm happy with the Mach 460 as it is, my idea was to add a pair of subs for sub-bass, then put specific rating caps on the 4 bass/mid-bass speakers of the system to keep them from going below a certain frequency (super inexpensive crossover). I'm not sure, but is the mono signal from the front amp / deck full frequency and low pass filtered in the amps?

Anyway, enough of my geeking...thanks for the help!

Nick

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com