Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fitting a 351 in a foxbody

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fitting a 351 in a foxbody
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you use 302 headers on a 351 in foxbody, im running victor jr heads.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they'll fit on the heads as far as bolting up, but you'll need specially made headers for the 351 to fit the fox body cause the 351 sits taller in the engine compartment. so you'll need to clear the bottom where it turns back.

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
most shorty headers should work if you have a muffler shop work with your H pipe, as far as long tubes go I'm not aware of any that work with both.

good luck! great project!

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the cost of a custom H-pipe, you can get a set of 351 swap headers. If you're worried about smog, just take the CARB # off a 302 header and put it on the 351 headers. You can also use special motor mounts which drop and set back the engine a little, like they used in the 94-95 Saleens. You would use regular 302 headers for that.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im wondering if my cartech turbokit (log style header) thats for a 302 will fit in my hatcback. So thats why I ask, with those motor mounts do you think id be able to use the cartech kit.

Smog is not a issue since this isnt a street driven car.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u can use the turbo kit if u have the crossover pipe made wider, an exhaust shop can do this, since the 351 is wider the 302 crossover pipe obviously isnt wide enough [Big Grin]

also it will put the turbo closer to the fender area so u might have to hack some fender to allow clearance for the turbo, it can be done, seen it done, but i wouldnt do it myself, if u call cartech they might make a downpipe to convert to 351, just a thought

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wolfie351

What are these mounts you are talking about? Are they different then fox/vert mounts?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rokcrln:
Wolfie351

What are these mounts you are talking about? Are they different then fox/vert mounts?

they are dropped mounts made to put a 351 under a stock hood with the right intake, i think [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well that is just what I need for my rig. Were is some more info on these mounts and what intake?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
For the cost of a custom H-pipe, you can get a set of 351 swap headers. If you're worried about smog, just take the CARB # off a 302 header and put it on the 351 headers. You can also use special motor mounts which drop and set back the engine a little, like they used in the 94-95 Saleens. You would use regular 302 headers for that.

if your worried about smog then dont put a 351 in your mustang.
or just keep your 302 and swap it every 2 years

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com