Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Glowing headers?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Glowing headers?
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I finally got my car runnin again last night. To make a long story short, before I drove it, I held the RPM at 2000 for a few minutes. Afterwards I noticed the headers were glowing orange. What would cause this? Isnt this a sign of a rich condition? My fuel pressure was at 38 psi and my A/F ratio gauge didnt register at all. Ive got 30 lb injectors. Any ideas on how to correct this?

[ June 12, 2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: 91 5.0 ]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would have thought it was a sign of "lean" condition....

I think it can be both.....Sometimes if your running too rich fuel will start igniting in your exhaust system....Most of the time if you run lean the exhaust will get HOT and start to glow a nice orange/red....

I would take out the plugs and see how they look...(wait until it cools first [Wink] )

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will the plugs be "read-able"? They only have a total of 5-10 minutes on them.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very lean or overly retarded timing.
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

[patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The timing makes sense. As for the mixture, I thought it was from running rich and having unburned gas burning in the headers.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You got it backwards, a rich mixure "cools" and a lean mixure burns hot. This is why holes are burnt in pistons sometimes when a power adder car leans out too much.

On the flip side, if you're too rich, your cats can glow because they're working over time trying to burn up all the extra unburnt fuel before sending it out the exhaust.

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

I know that. Seems to me though that if there was too much fuel, it would continue to burn after it exited the combustion chamber.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

well, either way, do you have any suggestions for correction?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timing is retarded.
No big deal. Just make sure you didn't toast all your plug wires.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Plug wires were fine.
My A/F ratio gauge wouldnt register while running. Any idea on that?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Lightning Larry
¯
Member # 2737

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Larry  Ford pictures for Lightning Larry  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

Yep! That's where I would put my money. [patriot]

--------------------
04 Black Lightning
Admin. at www.SVTperformance.com

Posts: 541 | From: Redwood City Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

I advanced the timing to 15 degrees. They still glow a little bit and my A/F ratio is super lean, even when I raise the fuel pressure to 50 psi. Any idea on how to correct this lean condition?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Jim
¯
Member # 2848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim  Ford pictures for Jim    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
timing is not advancing with the RPM's it sounds like to me.

--------------------
Jim

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

My car was converted to a 5 speed from an auto. I still have the auto computer. Could this have anything to do with it?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
definately fuel or timing issue. [Smile] [dance]
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're SURE you're setting timing at 15BTDC & not 15ATDC right?
The timing should be set with 0 on the left of the #'s.
If everything is cool, check for a spun balancer. If it's a stock balancer, sometimes the rubber ring that holds the outer piece to the inner piece rips & the outer ring with the timing marks on it slips.

If you want to know for sure that the 0 on the balancer matches up with TDC on the motor, turn the motor over till the timing pointer is at 0. Then remove the balancer. The shear-pin (alignment pin, whatever) should be facing DIRECTLY up.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
RTFM!

your a/f guage works fine, i would imagine.
the thing is, with these guages, they only give a reading at WOT (wide open throttle) that is meaningful.if the pedal ain't on the floor, the a/f can't be read by those units. it has to do with the temperature of the exhaust gases.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Give me a call i have a idea???

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com