Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » possible heater core blown??? got a ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: possible heater core blown??? got a ?
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the car is a 97 gt,
put my new motor in and started it up and the next i was finishing my exaust and saw that im leaking coolant from the fire wall.i checked the heater hoses and there not leaking.but it is leaking from a hole in the fire wall about 6" to 8" down from it.
is that a drain hole or a weap hole for when a heater core blows or is it a hole that is supposed to be plugged. we did take the a/c out if that helps.
thanks chris [Confused]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is a weep hole for the heater core. Try warming the car up and then turning the windshield defroster on. Is there steam coming out of the vents with the smell of coolant? If so that's your heater core. Have fun. It's a BITCH!

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good shit chris, your car is finally running! Sucks dude, thats your heater core by the sounds of it!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its a draine hole

it suppose to let out the watter when you the heatte breaks

you can change it or just by pass it for now

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OOOOOoh that sucks. [Frown] That happened to my 87 when I did the motor swap. Does it go bad from setting? Because I remember it took me like a month and a half to change engines. And when I did, My heatercore smoked and stuff. Is that from it sitting for so long?
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
TriplePLAY
¯
Member # 948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TriplePLAY  Ford pictures for TriplePLAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry to say, but it is your heater core alright. the same thing happened to my 96 last year. from what i've heard they are a pain to replace-because you have to rip out the whole dash. it cost me over $700 to get mine replaced by the dealer. If you have the time...I suggest you do it yourself and save the money. the part should be no more than $$. good luck

--------------------
1996 Mustang GT Vert

Philippians 4:13-

Posts: 332 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah it kinda pisses me off.the heater core was already changed out once,and it was only ran for about a year and then the car sat for the last 2 years.so for now im just gonna bypass it and when i do my cage ill change it out then [Wink]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FWIW, I did a heater core swap myself in my '95. The whole dash needs to be at least unbolted and pulled forward. It's kinda scary when you get to that point, cause it looks bad, but it was no big deal. I removed the passenger side airbag for some extra visibilty (Too bad you can't get to the core through this hole, I was hoping.). I did NOT remove the housing. You can get the cover off without removing it. It's not pretty, but I figure it saved me about 5 hours. Basically took all day, started at 8:00 finished by 5:00. I would do it again rather than pay someone. The core itself was cheap, so I figure I saved about 650.00...
Dennis

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just as a follow up to my previous reply I did mine last year. The part was only like $65. I had to unbolt the entire dash and then raise it about 6 inches on the passenger side. Trying to get that last 1/2" or so that I needed to get the core out of the box I managed to shatter my windshield (well, a nice star about 8" in diameter). One of the screws on the top of the dash was pushing against the window and it finally gave as I was forcing the dash up. So that cost me an extra $200. Still better than going to the dealer and I got a nice smooth windshield for my troubles (and dollars).

The filth and vulgarity out of my mouth that entire day would make a sailor blush. I had to go to confession the next day to repent for the things I said.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
just as a follow up to my previous reply I did mine last year. The part was only like $65. I had to unbolt the entire dash and then raise it about 6 inches on the passenger side. Trying to get that last 1/2" or so that I needed to get the core out of the box I managed to shatter my windshield (well, a nice star about 8" in diameter). One of the screws on the top of the dash was pushing against the window and it finally gave as I was forcing the dash up. So that cost me an extra $200. Still better than going to the dealer and I got a nice smooth windshield for my troubles (and dollars).

The filth and vulgarity out of my mouth that entire day would make a sailor blush. I had to go to confession the next day to repent for the things I said.

lmfao

yeah i know how u feel,but i know how to do it,i just dont want to do it. [Mad]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com