Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1990 5.0 Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1990 5.0 Question
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTMike  Ford pictures for SVTMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently noticed that when i am in stop and go traffic my cars temp will go way up. The the other day it got to about 250 and then i had to turn on the heater to cool it down. The thermostat is like less than 10,000 miles old, i just ran some radiator cleaner through the radiator, and i am running an electric autometer phantom water temp gauge. What could be the problem, could the thermostat be broke that fast?
I even added that water wetter to the radiator and it didnt make a difference.

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

Posts: 766 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have under drive pulleys?

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the radiator is stock, it probably needs to be replaced. Highly recommend a 3 core replacement.
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTMike  Ford pictures for SVTMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i have underdrive pullies on the crank and water pump, and the radiator is stock.

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well it could be a combonation of the two things. If you get a chance, drain the radiator and look inside of it. If you see a lot of calcium deposits and stuff, atleast get your radiator boiled. In the mean time, try reving your engine a little when youre at idle. With the underdrive pullies, you sometimes have to keep the engine speed up to keep the coolant circulating

--------------------

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yah it is most likly the under drive pulleys, it slows down the water pump and also the fan. I just put in my elect fan and drove it all last week in trafic from sanjose to Dixon and it never got close to half way and this is with a stock 2 row (3 row is still in the box). So with the pulleys I would go to the 3row and like said above keep the rpms up a bit when stoped in trafic.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
SVTMike
¯
Member # 2345

would a heavy duty fan clutch from a CHP Mustang Fan help?

--------------------
1985 1/2 Mustang SVO
2003 SVT Focus

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start off with a 3row!

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Hey rokcrln, did you ever get the overflow bottle to fit anywhere with that camaro fan? I liked the pictures I saw of your set up and I'm really considering doing that this summer when I get some time and money.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com