Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Advice: Pro-M or C&L MAF for sn95?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice: Pro-M or C&L MAF for sn95?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, the two perf. parts missing from the engine when I bought it was a CAI and MAF. I picked up a Densecharger (recommended BTW), but now I am deciding what MAF I should use. I didn't have to deal with one much in my 87 (speed density), and when I finally did I was given a kit with a Pro-M, and it worked fine. But it seems most people have C&L in here. Please make a recommendation. Is it worth it to even get a 76mm when I'm runnin a 65mm T/B? Where is the best pricing? Look at my sig and tell me what would suit my current setup best, my first hunch was 73mm C&L.

[ June 06, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: 94Blackout ]

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was going to go with the 73mm c&l for my 65 mm tb but ended up going with the 76mm. it was my first mod i did when i bought the car and DAMN I could tell a huge difference as soon as I pulled away from my house. I hear Pro M is just as good if not better but in my excperiance the 76mm C&L is great. if you go 73 and need more air later because of future upgrades you'll wish you went 76mm.

Just my .02

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you plan on getting an Apex/RACESystems tune later on you'll want the Pro-M. They'll only tune your car if you have a Pro-M.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro M for sure. Many people have the C&L because they are much less expensive.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Joshs Ford
¯
Member # 801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshs Ford  Ford pictures for Joshs Ford    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro-M
Posts: 692 | From: San Ramon CA, | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chico Stang:
Pro-M

[patriot]

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] Pro-M

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro-M.

The C&L costs less because you use your original electronics and use a sampling tube to tune. One example of getting what you pay for.

quote:
If you plan on getting an Apex/RACESystems tune later on you'll want the Pro-M. They'll only tune your car if you have a Pro-M.

I don't think this is necessarilly true. Although Bill definately reccomended the Pro-M over C&L to me. I just don't want anyone thinking they shouldn't call Apex just cuz they have a C&L on their car.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro-M

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running a 75mm Pro-M Bullit on my 94 5.0.....

I had sooooooooo many issues with Pro-M its not funny....I had to send my Pro-M back 3 times for re-calibration and its still wasnt right!!!!....I finally faxed a letter to Jim Gonzales(owner of Pro-M) and he sent my a MAF adjuster (Optimizer) for free....My car runs great now, but knowing what I know about Pro-M, if I buy another MAF it will probably be Ford or C&L...

I can second JDUB07 on his C&L....His car was A LOT faster with the new 76mm and power tube...JDUB07 is also still using the factory air box with a panel type K&N....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So is there an issue with the sampling tube that would make it a hastle or somethin to tune? Using the existing electronics seems like more of an advantage than a disadvantage to me. And with a price difference of 100 bucks, I would like to know what the major advantage is.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro-m 75mm Bullit= $189.95

C&L 76mm with pipe = $269.95

These prices are from Dallas Mustang........www.dallasmustang.com

I know you can get the C&L with a K&N filter and a heat shield....http://www.cnlperformance.com/76mm_94-95cobra.html

If you run a cold air kit with the Pro-m it has to be calibrated for a 45* elbow...The 94-95 75mm Bullits have a set bolt on position and can not be turned to pick up the air from the cold air kit better...

I think you will be happier with a C&L....

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The electonics consist of the module (which includes the internal sesnor) that is mounted on the maf. With the C&L you put the original module on the new maf. The "module" is used to read the information (a voltage indicating air flow) from the sensor. This info is used by the computer to determine the pulse width of the injectors. If you need to tune it, you do so by physically adjusting a sampling tube on the sensor. If the injector size is increased or you need to adjust the fuel delivery for some other reason then you would need to adjust the sampling tube to fool the sensor in to seeing an increase or decrease the amount of air flowing through the maf. The problem is, when is it set correctly? This can be determined with the seat of the pants method or Dyno time.

The Pro-M comes with the electronics already calibrated for a given set up. If you want it changed you send for a new calibration. It is normally plug and play. The con here is the time to get a new calibration.

Personally I had a C&L 80 (because it was cheaper) it netted me a whopping 1 hp, over stock, on the dyno. It is in a box in my closet if you would like to but it???

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by Red97SVT:

Personally I had a C&L 80 (because it was cheaper) it netted me a whopping 1 hp, over stock, on the dyno. It is in a box in my closet if you would like to but it???

You only gained 1 rwhp over the stock MAF?..Was your dyno on the same day and on the same dyno?...Did you have a custom chip when you dynoed your stock MAF?...

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

quote:
Originally posted by Red97SVT:
Personally I had a C&L 80 (because it was cheaper) it netted me a whopping 1 hp, over stock, on the dyno. It is in a box in my closet if you would like to buy it???

What sampling tubes do you have for it, and what would you be askin for it? I currently have 19 pounders, and don't see myself going any higher up, seeing as though this MAF is the last mod I will be doing to the engine (besides a good oil cooler and pump).

Also, 80mm a little big for what I'm running? Or does it not matter because the 65mm T/B?

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

All I have is the maf. There were no tubes shipped with it from C&L. It is an 80mm for a Cobra mod motor so I don't think your current piping to the intake would fit. Besides, like you said 80mm is a bit big. Probably hurt your performance rather than help.

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Oh, yeah the dyno runs were back to back. The motor was basically stock. This is when I first got the car and was just spending $$$ for things I saw in magazines.

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really like how the c&l looks, the easy install and use of stock equipment, the tube looks good and there is no down time for recalibration. I was really leaning toward the 73mm but am happy I went with the 76mm. If you get the meter, tube and k&n you will be pleasantly surprised. Honestly I have no idea how you could only get 1 added hp from the c&l if I remember right the 76mm c&l on a stock motor was like 8-10hp and with mild mods up to 15hp. I would honestly say I gain between 12 and 15 hp when I put mine one.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com