Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What does it mean when u turn the key and u hear the fuel pump? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What does it mean when u turn the key and u hear the fuel pump?
SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SleeperVert50  Ford pictures for SleeperVert50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok somethins up with my interia switch I think. I turn the key and I hear the fuel pump but no fuel. Someone help me. No fram/body shop will take my car unless it runs! Can I just get anotehr interia switch and swap it out

--------------------
Sunset Orange 5.0, a Lady Killer!

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SleeperVert50  Ford pictures for SleeperVert50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do I reset the interia switch?

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's a button in the trunk. got a manual?

also: do you have a FP gauge? get one.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Umm, when i had my car I could hear the fuel pump go on by just turning the key to the ON position, before starting it, so that sound is normal
SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

let me rephrase it. My CAR WONT START! I hear the fuel pump when turning the key to the on position. Yes I do have a manual. Is it somethin wrong with the interia switch

--------------------

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm pretty sure that it is not the inertia switch if you here the fuel pump running. You are sure that you aren't getting fuel pressure?

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

im not sure but all i hear is the fuel pump tryin to get fuel.

--------------------

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you hear the fuel pump running then it's not the inertia switch. The inertia switch cuts all power to the fuel pump so that it can't run at all. It's a safety measure so that if you are in a collision it will trip killing the fuel pump so it doesn't keep feeding fuel to a possibly burning engine.

When you turn the key and you hear the fuel pump run for two seconds that is normal. It's simply pressurizing the fuel system getting ready to start.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

OK So whats wrong??? As soon as I took out my tail lights and interior my car wouldnt start. Can some shed some light. Did I maybe disconnect something or damage something? Is there anything in the interior dealing with starting the car that I could of messed up?

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
T5 car- clutch switch or neutral safety switch.
SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

where are those located?

--------------------

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about a little more info. What year is the car? Have you checked for spark and/or fuel pressure?

Try to start the car. Does it crank at all or nothing? Pull a spark plug. Is it wet with gas or no? When you crank the key do you see spark across the spark plug terminal (with it grounded)?

This could be a number of things so we need to narrow it down first.

[ June 04, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Sean90GT ]

--------------------

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, DP.

[ June 04, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Sean90GT ]

--------------------

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

I hanvt tried non of that, i dont even have the tools to check for spark. I dont know how to check for fuel pressure. But it started right before i took teh interior and lights out, 2 mins before. Then after it didnt?!?!

--------------------

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SleeperVert50:
I hanvt tried non of that, i dont even have the tools to check for spark. I dont know how to check for fuel pressure. But it started right before i took teh interior and lights out, 2 mins before. Then after it didnt?!?!

stuck on stupid [Cool]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you didn't answer the question...does it turn over at all like its trying to start? what year car is it. Did you take out the fuel relay under the driver seat when you did the interior have your checked all your fuses? I would check the fuel relay under the driver seat and fuses. whatever it is that is making it not start shouldn't be to hard to find.
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GOT GAS??

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked to see if maybe some rug is stuck behind the clutch pedal and so the clutch isn't going in all the way to start the car?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

1987 convertible 5 speed. When i turn the key it cranks. What could i have done to the fuel relay. Im thinking its that. What does it look like?

--------------------

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

and what fuse would it be that may not be working?

--------------------

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

If you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key then it is not the inertia switch, fuel pump relay or a fuel pump fuse. Your fuel pump is running and working.

If the car cranks then it's not the clutch switch.

How much of the interior did you pull out? Seats/console/carpet? Everything? Did you disconnect any wires while doing this?

Sounds like you need to get somebody that knows what to look for over there to check for fuel/spark to isolate this problem.

Sean.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd bet money its the fuel relay under the driver seat. Look under the seat. In most cases its secured by a metal bracket and some plastic peice. It should be a square relay that is plugged into a wire harnes. The car will crank but not start if it isn't secure or is not plugged into the harnes. If it isn't that just check all your fuses. Sounds like one of the two or maybe even both. If you were messing with lights then that is electrical (thus a fuse) and if you re-did all your interior then you could have jarred the fuel relay

[ June 05, 2003, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

I took out the WHOLE interior. Imma take out the seats and look at the relay harness and replace all my fuses. I hope this works because no shop will except my car if it doesnt run!

--------------------

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

I wanna thank you guys for the help, im dumb when it comes to 5.0s but im learning! Ill get back to you guys if it doesnt work!

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by SleeperVert50:
I took out the WHOLE interior. Imma take out the seats and look at the relay harness and replace all my fuses. I hope this works because no shop will except my car if it doesnt run!

To get at the fuel relay you really don't need to pull the seat and for the fuses just replace any that are blown/broke/corroded/etc. Good luck!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com