Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6 4v in a 65-66... can it fit?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.6 4v in a 65-66... can it fit?
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My next Mustang project is goint to be eather a 65-66 or 67 fastback. I want to run the 4.6 4v motor and up graded suspention wrapted in a shelby clone. I know it will fit in a 67 but what about a 65-66. Any info and pics if they exist would be great.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think it will. but it will be a VERY tight fit. VERY VERY VERY tight [Eek!]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats just fine... At 18 you could care less if it is tight or not and now at 31 I look for it [Wink]

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gad damnit F the 4.6 and put a 351 or a 460 in the classic stang or seriously I might just jump out of the bushes and kick you in the nuts as hard as I can while you;re tryin to drop the motor in! [Mad] [Mad] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a 5.4 based mod swap and you won't need to wear a cup around me [Eek!]

--------------------

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Yeh I got a efi 5.8 around here but the 4.6 just isn't right in a old car and that is halt the fun!

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

And just what is the 5.4 How tall is it compaired to a 4.6 I would want to keep a stock type hood over it.

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its a navigator motor. thats the best one to get.
but your problem wont be how tall it is, just the width

--------------------
86 GT

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

ok thanks for the info.. The 4.6 with a few mods would be ideal. Plenty of hp decent gas milage and extremly reliable. And mated to a 6spd would be a blast for a DD

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

im putting a 4.6 DOHC in my 86. i just like 305hp with a completly stock smogable motor [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

I know what you mean. And once you put a few small mods you are about 350-400. Any one know the demention from out side of head to out side of head ( widest part) and also from CL of crank to top of motor and how much more for the SC 4.6's

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rokcrln:
Thats just fine... At 18 you could care less if it is tight or not and now at 31 I look for it [Wink]

HAHAHHAHAHAHA [worship] [worship] [dance] [Whoo Whooooo!] hahahahhahaha

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that gets a nother [worship] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have seen a 460 wedged in a 66 if that helps.
btw, do you know the deck height of a 4.6?

[ June 05, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: rr_mustang ]

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im gonna go on a limb and say...IT WONT FIT unless you cut the shock towers. Go ahead and do it to a coupe. Dont hack a fastback.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

a 4.6 is wider than a 460, LMAO

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
a 4.6 is wider than a 460, LMAO

well hey looking at the numbers they are the same right? 4.6 / 460 LMAO! maybe they will fit just the same!

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Well I went by Maier racing to day and they have a bad a$$ project 65 fastback in the shop and I checked #'s. I will be going the route of a 5.0 SC'ed and not cut a fast back to hell and that is just about what it would take and still need a fat ass hood cowl to close. With the 5.0 I can fit it under a shelby hood. It will still be getting all new suspetion but just not cut to the extent a 4.6 would take. I will try and get some pics of their project and show you guys.

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've seen a 4valve cobra motor in a 65 fastback at the goodguys show.

I talked to the owner and he said that all he did was install a rod and costom mustang 2 front end on it and the rest was the same as an 50 efi swap.

So to answer your question yes a 4.6 will fit...With a little mod.

also there's a 65 fastback with a mustang 2 front end all ready on it for sale on here.it's a friend of mine

Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

did the one you saw have a stock hood or have to have a cowl hood?

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can't remember for sure but i think it was a stock hood because the mustang 2 front end if i'm not mistaken drops the cross member,motor sets lowwer.
Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
let me know if you want a motor i have a 01 long block for 2500 brand new e mail me if you want pics

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Thanks but I am still in the gathering info stage. I normaly run one project behind....(now only 3/4 behind)LOL And when I start I will find a doner car and get every piece at once.

[ June 06, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: rokcrln ]

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any mod motor (4.6 or 5.4, SOHC or DOHC) but you need to install a Mustang II suspension package that will eliminate the shock towers. There are only a few problems. With the Mustang II front end the weight of your engine and the sprung weight of the front of the car is resting on a box of sheetmetal that is welded to 37 year old frame rails. In other words, it's not that strong. It would be ok for a weekend cruiser but I couldn't see that combination holding up too well on an open track or drag car. Also the motor would use EEC V. EEC V is more complex than EEC IV, but it is also easier to diagnose than EEC IV. It is doable, but you have to realize that you can get twice as much horsepower and torque from a Windsor more easily than a Mod motor.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

As far as the frame rails that is not a problem, I will be doing a full cage tied into the front rails. As far as the motor I know you can built up almost any motor but I like the looks of the 4V's and it would be different being in a 65-66.

--------------------
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com