Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 89 Lx bumper question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 89 Lx bumper question
bimmer24
¯
Member # 2450

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for bimmer24  Ford pictures for bimmer24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can I replace w/ a gt bumper
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, but you need to get ground effects or its going to look real funny.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
bimmer24
¯
Member # 2450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bimmer24  Ford pictures for bimmer24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it going to look really funny? The car isn't driven on the streets more than once a week. Need the gt front for the fog lights so I can place air duct tubing to the brakes for cooling. Plus it gets better air flow to the radiator
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It doesn't look terrible.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:

Yeah, It might look good. If you like the look of a Honda with a primered body kit [Roll Eyes] . Either get the full kit, or get another LX bumper. [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
bimmer24
¯
Member # 2450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bimmer24  Ford pictures for bimmer24    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my current bumper is fine. I would only do it if would help the air flow to the radiator and to run air ducts to the brakes from the fog lamps.
rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bimmer24:
my current bumper is fine. I would only do it if would help the air flow to the radiator and to run air ducts to the brakes from the fog lamps.

The GT bumper hinders air flow to the radiator more than the LX, unless you cut out the center section and replace with a mesh grille. It doesn't look that bad on an LX either (and as you know, looks make the car faster).

You will be able to run brake ducts on an LX if you cut the front bumper as seen below:

-

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the lx looks way better like that than if it were to have a GT bumper

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats a bad ass pic of a bad ass Mustang! [worship] ......I like the Saleen bumper insert and is that a GT rear spoiler?

If you want more flow to your radiator make sure you dont take off the factory 2.5"x 3' plastic air dam on the front of your car too...Believe it or not, but that directs more air to your radiator...You can also up-grade to something stronger than pastic(aluminum) and it also helps keep air from going under the car at high speeds...

[ June 04, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
ci$ko
¯
Member # 2425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ci$ko  Ford pictures for ci$ko    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how would you cut it nice and perfect?

--------------------
2000 GT for sale
89 lx burning up slicks at a track near you
91 bottled gt sold :/
72 chevelle

Posts: 1286 | From: valleJo .7o7. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a drill bit that is in a circle, kinda like a saw.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:

Yeah, It might look good. If you like the look of a Honda with a primered body kit [Roll Eyes] . Either get the full kit, or get another LX bumper. [patriot]
Actually it's quite the opposite. It's done for function, therefore looks don't mean much.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rr_mustang:
quote:
Originally posted by bimmer24:
[qb]qb]

-
Hey are you using harnesses for that corbeu seat? Look at your belt in that picture looks like your tensioner needs to be replaced.

--------------------
Support our troops!

rr_mustang
¯
Member # 888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rr_mustang  Ford pictures for rr_mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not my car, using it for demonstration purposes.
if you look at the drivers shoulder you will see a harness.

Brazeau Racing

--------------------
Dart 408 w/ AFR 205's

Posts: 473 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
bimmer24
¯
Member # 2450

I know that I can cut air ducts in the Lx bumper. I would only switch so I can have a spliter on the front.

http://www.americanironwest.com/

Goto this site and see driver's profiles and click on Kevin Chambers car or Bruce Griggs car and see the splitter on the front bumper. It would be hard to fabercate it on a Lx bumper.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com