Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rocker arm question????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rocker arm question????
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have stock heads and 1.72 Ford motorsport roller rockers. I recently got my heads decked and put them back on a different short block that im putting in my car. When I torqued the rockers, I noticed that the plungers on the lifters depresseed, even when the cam lobes are at zero lift. The valves are closing all the way, but once I turn the car on and the oil pressure builds up, am I going to have a problem with the valves not closing???

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no one????????????

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How long was the motor not running/apart? (Did your lifters bleed out?)
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused] How long was it apart! Are you using the same heads?

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0:
I have stock heads and 1.72 Ford motorsport roller rockers. I recently got my heads decked and put them back on a different short block that im putting in my car.

Looks to me like he is. Where is 93PONY??

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well by decking the heads you kind of made your pushrods longer. I know fords are pre set for valve lash to push rod length but I don't know what room you have to play with.

[ June 02, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: rokcrln ]

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the spec for a hydraulic roller lifter is about 0.03" of pre-load.

How did you torque the rockers? What sequence did you follow?

Set them to the proper pre-load, and no further. Also use a torque wrench since they are pedestal rockers and ensure that the torque value is in range simultaneously with the pre-load. (i.e. wiggle the pushrod till it 'drags', and then go 1/2 a turn further).

If not you fuck the whole thing up. Trust me on that one :/

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by shade-tree:
[ (i.e. wiggle the pushrod till it 'drags', and then go 1/2 a turn further).

Sounds like the old chevy's I have done in the past. My 302 was like 35ibl or some shit

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

im using the same stock heads. They were machined though.

SHADE TREE--I turned the motor until cylinder #1 was on its compression stroke, then torqued to 22 ft/lbs. Then proceeded to cylinder #2 on its compression stroke, and so on. Now you said .03 of preload? Is it .03, or .003? And if my pre-load is too much, how do I change that? Is using shims under the rocker the only way?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to buy some shims to change the valve clearance. They go underneath the rocker in that little rail. Check here
http://www.cranecams.com/master/shimstud.htm

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Yeah, thats what I figured. Ive got a pack of shims, im not sure if ive got enough though.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Does anyone know where I can pick up some shims locally? The rockers are FMS if that matters.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com