Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » My 306 budget kit...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My 306 budget kit...
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, after a long process of what kit to get I am finally putting my 306 together. It is a budget kit, and do I mean budget. Prepping and assembly of the block cost me $400 from Zinolas machine shop in mountain view. That included cleaning the block, boring it, honing, and decking it. He also had to do some work to my crank. I am going to re-use my crank and rods, and the 306 kit I am getting is from central coast mustang. It comes with everything you need, forged Probe pistons with valve reliefs, piston rings, main, cam, and rod bearings, freeze plugs, and all the gakets all for under $400. So my 306 cost me $800. What do you guys think?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You get what you pay for [Eek!]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
at half off day at the junkyard I can get 302's complete for $37.50, what now [Big Grin]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:

ditto

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

true, but the machine shop warranties his work as well. that is the reason I went with him. I was going to get e new ford motor, but funds are low right now.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you get what you pay then what should he have gone with. i saw his post about the summit rebuild kit and asking questions, but no one seemed to have any valid opinions. i might be in his position within a year or so for the '90, what would you do instead for a rebuild? i don't know jack crap about rebuilding so that's why i'm asking.
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice hey glenn check your pm's.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not bad, at least you get some good pistons. I had this crazy idea of an explorer GT40-P wrecking yard motor a few months ago for around $600. The heads alone can be sold for half that.
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just think it is strange that he went with good (read expensive hci) and now he wants to do a cheap lower end rebuild. i think with the top end set up he has, it will pull to 6500. you need a good (read tough) lower end for that motor to LAST. How bad would you feel if you build a cheap motor and it broke and took out the heads in the process?? [burnout]

--------------------

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
eh, maybe buy a 500$ beater and save up for a better option down the road? [Frown]

good luck whatever you do!

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I just think it is strange that he went with good (read expensive hci) and now he wants to do a cheap lower end rebuild. i think with the top end set up he has, it will pull to 6500. you need a good (read tough) lower end for that motor to LAST. How bad would you feel if you build a cheap motor and it broke and took out the heads in the process?? [burnout]

So you are saying a rebuild isn't as good as a new ford 302 block? Can you explain this? The block, crank, and rods are still in very good condtion. The pistons and all the other stuff I am using is better than the stock stuff. I know it was a cheap rebuild, price wise, but not parts wise. I got good deals on most of them. That is what I meant by budget.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Zinola's does great work. He did my 331 when i spun a bearing. no complaint here, Iol pressure stil strong and holding. I was gonna get a complet 302 rebuilt for $800 bucks. thats including parts and labor but decided to go with the 331. [Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did he just polish the crank or go .010 under with it? If he had to cut it, I would consider getting a new crank.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic with a POS 90 ranger:
did he just polish the crank or go .010 under with it? If he had to cut it, I would consider getting a new crank.

he went .010 under. no cutting.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

glen- call me if you like and i can explain. I type too slow

--------------------

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You definately get what you pay for. When I had the engine in my 87 GT rebuilt. I went with the Summit rebuild kit. Worked fine for what I had.

It's running strong to this day, Only thing that went bad was the oil pressure sending unit. [patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much are new rods?.......

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com