Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP I'm burning oil like a madman

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP I'm burning oil like a madman
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright i checked my oil last weekend and it was fine. I drove maby 250 miles this week (including racing at the strip) So anyway i go to my friends house and park facing downhill ( i have the 7qt. oil pan) and when i go to start it its knocking hella loud. Apparently the rockers were knocking because the oil that was in there went to the front of the pan and there was none in the rear to be picked up. Its a new (1500 mi.) 331 stroker and the oil pressure is always around 80. Compression is 125 everywhere and no cylanders (sp?) are leaking It doesnt smoke or leak although it is running poorly right now (the timing wont stay) Anyone know why its burning so much and how [Confused]
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You havn't told us how much it is burning yet. Once you pulled it on flat groung how many quarts did you need to add?

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the upper intake & see if there's oil in it.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rokcrln:
You havn't told us how much it is burning yet. Once you pulled it on flat groung how many quarts did you need to add?

[patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry, there was maby a quart left in it and i had no idea. it had enough to get by on flat ground but once i went down hill, it was done. I pulled the end off the upper (eddlebrock) and there was a small spoonfull of oil in it. what does this mean and what should i do,
THANKS

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A little oil in the intake is normal. Flaw in Fords PCV design. A lot of oil in there is something that should be addressed ASAP. It's coming from the PCV. You can plug the hole & run a breather off the PCV & off the valve covers.
You need to look for other ways it's using oil.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

so is that considered a little? any other suggestions for where to look?
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Hard to say how much oil it's sucking in without looking at it myself.
There can only be so much oil sitting in the upper before it sucks it down the runners.

The PCV is the ONLY place oil can get into the intake stream. Other places that you may be consuming oil is from bad valve-guids/seals. This is normally evident from smoking just after startup...cold or warm.
No leaks?

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

no leaks at all. never smokes. someone suggested the crankcase ventilation system? if it were sucking too much oil into the intake what do i do?
THANKS [patriot]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Plug the line on the intake that the PCV is hooked up to. Then run a breather on the PCV & another breather on the Valve cover.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

i may have just misunderstood this but if the line is plugged then why do i hook a breather to it? Should i remove the line and plug the hole?
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your motor is new then the rings probably have not seated yet. Basically stop beating your car cause its not broke in yet. It is normal for engines to ues a little oil durring break in. But that much is not normal. My guess is that your rings were not gapped properly or your intake did not seal and is sucking oil from the lifter valley into the intake ports and burning it that way. I would keep an eye on it and drive it easy then see if the rings want to seat.

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

The rings should seat within minutes of initial startup.

Plug the port on the INTAKE where the PCV hose attaches. Then run a breather on the PCV.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

alright ill do the breather thing and watch it. if the rings didnt seal wouldn't compression leak out during my test?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com