Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Opinions on these two motors... 347 stroker or 351w

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions on these two motors... 347 stroker or 351w
Racer 5.0
¯
Member # 2382

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Racer 5.0  Ford pictures for Racer 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
K I"m getting a 4 banger lx mustang on the 15th of June and I was wondering what kind of engine I should get for it. I saw on this site that someone was selling a 351 windsor motor I guess it came out of a ford bronco and is complete.
ford 351w engine
2bbl with all bolt on access down to fan belts
removed from 82 bronco with 78k miles
excellent running cond,exh manifolds
stock engine,no internal mods
this eng is complete down to nut and bolt

Here's the description on it. And I was also thinking of getting that for 500 bucks which is a reasonable price and or a 347 stroker motor which I can get for 1200 bucks. Which motor do you think would best fit and have the best qualifications for the car that I'm getting? Which would you choose and why, which has more mods that can be done to it? Also I'll be using this stang as a autocross stang as well. I also I guess want to keep it street legal. Let me know what your opinions would be I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah and what trannies would I need to use for both of these engines?

[ May 29, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Racer 5.0 ]

--------------------
I may not own a mustang yet but I will some day.

Posts: 290 | From: Bay Area California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd watch out for that bronco 351w that foxbody is selling. nothing against him, just that particular motor. That year is not the preferred one to get, JMHO, look into it yourself of course.

you really want a '69 vintage block, or one of the roller blocks from the mid/late 80's up.

93-95 were hyd rollers, late 80's up solid rollers.

my vote for the 351 for what it's worth.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 351 is going to last much longer thatn the 347 so keep that in mind. Also if you do a mild stoke on the 351 youll make some real power and still be safe.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My vote is on the 351w, more power and torque can be made, but the 351w is going to be a little heavier than the 302 based 347 stroker! keep that in mind for your autocross, more weight up front!

P.S. Besides doesnt a 408 stroker sound cool! [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh, and if your really going to keep it street legal, a 3550 or if your going for more power a TKO.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Racer 5.0
¯
Member # 2382

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Racer 5.0  Ford pictures for Racer 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
My vote is on the 351w, more power and torque can be made, but the 351w is going to be a little heavier than the 302 based 347 stroker! keep that in mind for your autocross, more weight up front!

P.S. Besides doesnt a 408 stroker sound cool! [Big Grin]

I didn't even know 408 strokers existed. [Confused] I'm leaning towards the 351w motor cuz of the price is pretty decent but I definetly want to get the engine checked out for any internal problems it may have before I buy it. I'm really tempted on the 347 stroker it motor as well but if the 351w is not going to give me a lot of problems then I'm gonna go for that. Also with the 351w motor what problems should I keep an eye out for? Thanks for the advice you guys.

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same problems you would look for in a 302, except with the 351w you may have to have the block drilled for a hydraulic cam if thats what you want to run and get an adapter kit! Again, my vote is the 351w, but definetly have it checked out!

--------------------

rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My vote is also for the 351W. I will be doing some swaping with mine one of these days just need to get all parts to do two swaps at once. Keep in mind to be legal you will need to have all mustange EFI set up and even then it could be a prob if they know what they are looking for.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its going to be a NA combo and 350-375 rwhp is all you ever want, then go with the 347. If boost is in your future, go with the 351.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love the 351 block because it can be made huge, and i can one [Big Grin] , but since u talk about autocross, i think a well built 347 will be better because it will save 80 pounds off the front compared to the 351

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, if your autocrossing then I would get a 347ci..The front of the car is the last place you need extra weight on a Mustang....

Then again if you can compensate for that added weight by adding a 100+rwhp with a stroker 408ci kit, then I think that the 351 would be worth it...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
67stang12s
¯
Member # 2314

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang12s  Ford pictures for 67stang12s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
351 endless potential and i think someone was selling a 351 block on here that is already set up for the roller cam i think it came from a s-351 95 stang i think
i try to find the link and he only wanted a little bit off nothing for the blocker then you can buy a forged stroker kit and add some boost to it and then let me drive it to make sure its working properly

--------------------
The Heartbeat stops here
F O R D

67stang12s
¯
Member # 2314

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang12s  Ford pictures for 67stang12s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the link
http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=008430

--------------------
The Heartbeat stops here
F O R D

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
uh don't you want to keep your motor at high revs for an extended amount of time? with that in mind i'd say the 351w is still better than the 347 simply for the rod to stroke ratio the 351 gives you which will make your cylinder walls thank you.

on a side note, i've learned who to listen to and who not to listen to when it comes to advice on many different things... when it comes to automotive performance i tend to stear clear of advice given by people with mudflaps on their own vehicles. JMHO [patriot]

I say go with the windsor, the lifters come out with your heads on and the valve covers come off with your intake on. [worship]

Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would skip the motor the Bronco motor and the 347 and go to U-PULL it (what do you know? this weekend is half price weekend) look through the yard and you will find an 83-85 Crown Vic (sometimes you get luck and find an old cop car) anyway this motor will have a reverse flow water pump if it is an A/C car and will also have the correct oil pan that you need to swap it into your foxbody.

If you are REALLY cheap you can make 302 headers work if you happen to have some or pick them up cheap or believe it or not the stock 351 manifolds make a nice candidate to turn upside down switch sides and connect some junk yard turbos too.

Keep the boost low and the fuel good along with the engine temp down and you can boost cast pistons for an unbelievable time.

Anyway the motor is 130 for a complete motor with accessories but that is 65 dollars on 1/2 price weekend.

The intake will a b 2 barrel deal but that can always be changed.

They made no solid lifter 351W from the factory.

Take a look around pull some pans off mix and match if you luck out and fine a roller 351 or something put the Crown Vic pan on it when you pop a main bearing cap off and a rod bearing cap off have a look to see what kind of shape the bearings are in.

Ive found brand new motors out there that just had shitty carbs/ignitions or plugged cats and the car ran like crap so people have junked them with new(er) motors in them.

Good luck.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hi dan
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Racer 5.0
¯
Member # 2382

You guys have helped a lot and I"ll definetly be referring back to this thread. I will be going with a 351w motor just not the one from the bronco and I will go to pick n pull to try and find one. I won't be doing any of this work however till after I get back from vacation. I need to see how my financial status is. I will let you know how progress goes. I'm looking forward to doing this swap. If you guys have anymore info on what to do and what not to do please feel free to pm me or write here. I appreciate the advice and the help so keep it on coming. But yeah I'm definetly going with a 351w and I'll boost it later on when the cash comes along.

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
351W...that's all I have to say about that [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Glad I got one [Big Grin]

--------------------

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is your budget? that should be a factor in what ever motor you want

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com