Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What's a good way to make power off a carb'd 302? Input please: Nitrous?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What's a good way to make power off a carb'd 302? Input please: Nitrous?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want a little more then stock, but I dont' want to spend a $1000 for heads. Also, anyone have anything to say about the Summit rebuild kits - those things are stupid cheap! Right now the block is being machined and I just would like some ideas of how to get some cheap power and how much can I get with what? Maybe a 150shot, what do you guys think?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a cheap top half, home port some GT4O-P heads, stick a comp extreme series cam on it and you should be set for a near 300 rwhp if the supporting cast is up to par.
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
For a cheap top half, home port some GT4O-P heads, stick a comp extreme series cam on it and you should be set for a near 300 rwhp if the supporting cast is up to par.

that with a 150 shot. nothing wrong with the summit rebuild kit, just nothing special about it.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
solid roller+rpm is a tried and true method for 289/302 HP.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
While your in there you could up the compression a bit when you get the pistons, if your buying a kit, why not get a stroker? CHeck into home porting of heads, cam, Rockers, intake, exhaust, etc..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey thanks for all the input. Anything else? And just out of curiosity what's the difference between the gt-40p and x head? Thank again.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
off topic,
but that summit rebuild kit?
how much nitrous can the hyperpheutic piston kit
using ported gt40 heads.75 and 125 shot dry kit

i have a tired 5.0 engine in use in my car and should be considering rebuilding the short block i have in my backyard soon..

should i get the forged pistons...this is for a temp.measure, i have plans for a 306 pro billet dss motor [burnout]

87saleen,get the 150 shot [patriot]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
Hey thanks for all the input. Anything else? And just out of curiosity what's the difference between the gt-40p and x head? Thank again.

In short, the GT40P is a more efficient version of the Cobra GT40 iron head. The GT40X head is an aluminum head that is more comprable with the Edelbrock 6037 head. The X is obviously the better head, but will cost you twice as much as a set of P heads.
customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get Forged pistons for sure. Only way to go. I could hook you up with a nitrous kit for it for less then 500 bucks. Give me a call if you are interested.
925-998-1517

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com