Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What type of control arms?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What type of control arms?
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What type of upper and lower control arms do you guys recomend for a fox body?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For drag racing? I'm a big fan of stock suspension + slicks + gears [patriot]
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have gears and slicks. I pulled a 1.81 60 ft with that and ran a 98 mph trap. The car should pull a much lower 60 ft now that its faster. I want more though. I cant go driving around town on my slicks, and without them, I might as well skip 1st and 2nd gear cause I have no traction.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On street tires, stiffer control arms and a stiffer suspension will only "hit" the tires harder on the launch and cause even more spin.
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Then what can I do for traction? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've seen locals do well with the Eibach drag spring kit and nitto's on the street.
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Anyone else have any input?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
On street tires, stiffer control arms and a stiffer suspension will only "hit" the tires harder on the launch and cause even more spin.

the concept sounds good but i have to disagree
i did control arms on a basically stock 97 gt
stock it could spin the tires alright, but not great (its an auto)
after i put steeda lower control arms on it, it would barely scratch a tire, the only change was the lower arms
just my .02

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Stimson
_
Member # 51

I've seen exact opposite results on a 5 speed car with a reasonably "grippy" clutch.
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've those "factory five" ones that they advertise in 5.0 mag. i'm not sure how well they work, but they were damn cheap! upper and lowers for 150!!!

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
changing out the stock uppers on a street car is a bad idea. as far as the lowers, i replaced mine with a set of global west tbf whatevers. they are very stout and have served me well over the years. mega bite jrs work very well for street strip duty. [patriot]
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

whats the difference between the megabite jr's and Sr's???? Why is changing the UCA's a bad idea?

[ May 28, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: 91 5.0 ]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0:
whats the difference between the megabite jr's and Sr's???? Why is changing the UCA's a bad idea?

i had a set or the jrs and they hooked really good but hung up at the drive thru car wash so i pitched em. i think the sr. uses a spherical bearing where as the jr uses a somewhat more compliant hard plastic type bushing. the hard bushings in most after mrkt UPPERS causes bind in the suspension while taking a corner at speed and can pitch the car around on you. some call this 'snap over steer'. the guys over at corner- carvers can do a much better job of explaining this. All of this means squat if you dont have the tires for the job.
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I cant go driving around town on my slicks

why not, i do [Big Grin]
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Why is changing the UCA's a bad idea?

I think its ok to change the uppers and lowers as long as the uppers are rubber and not polyurethane. If both upper and lower bushings are polyurethane they will bind like mentioned above.

--------------------
Support our troops!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of driving do you do????.........

If you like to drag race then more than corner carve then I would recommend a set of lower control arms that have sperical bearings at BOTH ends...Sperical bearings reduce axle wind up compared to polyurethane bushings and also keep the correct articulation of the rear suspension...

For upper control arms I suggest going with either the FMS HD uppers or (if your into drag racing) I would recommend some adjustable uppers with sperical bearings...Sperical bearings will help the rear axle move more freely without bushing bind!..The reason you should get "adjustable" uppers is so you can adjust your pinion angle for optimum traction...

Its been said before, but traction is only as good as the tires!.. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

im only into drag racing. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say the eibach drag luanch kit and a set of Mega Bite Jr.s, you can get spherical bushings for the Jr.s also!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't know about on the track but on the street I just installed a full M&M box kit plus the torque arm set up and it can bearly burn off now. Before it would flip flop side to side and lite up forever. With the new location of the torque arm it adds tons of traction. When dropping the clutch the rear pinion wants to twist up and with the T-arm it wont let the pinion do this and what happens instead is when it tries to lift it has to lift the car first and this only adds more weight to the rear tires. Before when you dumped the clutch the rear would squat abit and lift the fron some and now it feals like you are being pushed from behind straite forward if that makes sence. No squat just strait a head.

[ May 29, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: rokcrln ]

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

ET STREETS

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic with a POS 90 ranger:
quote:

ET STREETS
well said

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Blown Mystic with a POS 90 ranger:
quote:

ET STREETS
well said
[patriot]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Let me clarify... Besides slicks or ET streets, what can I do for traction?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rokcrln:
No squat just strait a head.

[Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com