Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351 w/a 12-14min run time?????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351 w/a 12-14min run time?????
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy put a 351 in his mustang. Now everything is stock on the ignition side except for the distributor(MSD). New battery, stock alternator. The thing will idle for only less than 15 min. then we can't get spark for 2 hours. WTF!!

Any suggestions would help at this time... Thanks

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFI module and maybe the O2 sensors if it dies after 15 min. Check the codes in the EEC.
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh ya, I've replaced the TFI cause that's what I thought. But the O2's? Why is that? We aren't getting spark?

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try a new coil

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
O2's is for the dying after 15 minutes part. After 10-15 minutes, the O2's have warmed up enough and the EEC listens to the O2's to control the idle (amoung other sensors).

I'd still check the EEC for codes regardless.

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coils are good or bad...
Do you really think that the O2's after warmed up could cause the engine to die and not restart untill completly cooled? All we are missing is spark?

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one step at a time, first replace the coil and get some spark all the time! Check all the wiring and make sure there is no burnt wires or unconnected wires. Once you know you are getting spark all the time and problems still happen then go from there! [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it the correct distrubuter for the 351?
this is karls car right? [burnout]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by T-TopTerror:
Coils are good or bad...
Do you really think that the O2's after warmed up could cause the engine to die and not restart untill completly cooled? All we are missing is spark?

You could have two things wrong at the same time, that's all I was saying. Who says only one thing at a time has to not work right? [Big Grin] Like others have stated, swapping parts with known good ones should narrow things down. Spark system is pretty small and easy to trouble shoot.... the TFI on/in the distrubutor tells the EEC to fire the coil. All 3 are easy swaps.
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's most likely either the tfi module or the stator inside the distributor. If it has an aftermarket module, just tell him to trash it and get a Ford module. Stop by the shop sometime and I will lend you my tfi tester - that way you will know if it is the module.
rokcrln
¯
Member # 2536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokcrln  Ford pictures for rokcrln    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And just for info I have had a coil go intermitant on me before. Changed the coil and problem solved.

--------------------
71 Bronco stock (for now) w/59k miles.
73 Bronco EFI 351W
71 Chevy PU w/Vett LT1

Posts: 448 | From: Winters Ca. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com