Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cold air intake or Ram air?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold air intake or Ram air?
DarcSteed
¯
Member # 2529

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for DarcSteed  Ford pictures for DarcSteed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Which would you prefer? i have the option of either for 30-40$, and just wanted to know which you would rather have. which do you think would function better with "the shit"? for the price i cant go wrong, but i was just curious if it was your car which would you run?

im putting a lightly modded 5 liter in my coupe just to get it running, and driveable until i can afford to start my new motor. any input about this would be appreciated thanx.
[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Mike "Just Playin" Starky 5-17-03 See you agian someday homey.

STR8 HEAT MotorSports: More Deathstyle Than Lifestyle

90 Notch in the worx...

Posts: 214 | From: SanJose Ca | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What type of ram air is it? For the track maybe run the ram air, but for everyday on the street just run the cold air, or even just a K&N in the stock airbox w/o the silencer.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On a 5.O, just remove the air silencer and stick a K*N in the air filter box. Save your money for "real" mods like a matched heads/intake/cam package.
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
On a 5.O, just remove the air silencer and stick a K*N in the air filter box. Save your money for "real" mods like a matched heads/intake/cam package.

Agreed but if you really want it go for the ram air for the strip. Don't use ram air on the street all you do it load the filter and possibley the intake with lots of dirt and other crap. EVERY ram air I have seen on a street car gets lots of crap in it.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Roush3
¯
Member # 2638

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Roush3  Ford pictures for Roush3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go with ram air [Cool]

--------------------
2002 Roush stage 3

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your gonna change to a ram air or a cold air then I suggest the cold air...

Most likely the ram air kit will have a scoop mounted to the bottom of the bumper, unless you have a ram air hood...The scoop at the bottom of the bumper will pick up a lot of leaves and other crap, not to mention hot air that comes off the road while your driving...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the track remove the passenger side headlight and filter box. Run dryer/hose from opening dirrectly back to your maf sensor. Sucks if you suck soemthing up but most who do this leave the maf screen in if you have not already removed it.

For the streets I would just get a cold air kit made of plastic.

--------------------
Support our troops!

nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what year car do u have?
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check this out. Nice kit for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2416730430&category=6763

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
chrome in your engine bay will not make cold air [Wink]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

I think they also have the plastic kit too. Why wont chrome work?
DarcSteed
¯
Member # 2529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarcSteed  Ford pictures for DarcSteed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
chrome is a serious heat conductor. way more than regular metal. i think im just gonna go with the ram-air. its only 30 bux, and it has a K&N in it already. as far as suckin shit up, i have no problem cleanin it out, and the k&n should take care of the small shit. for 30 bux i think it will work ok. any more input is encouraged and appreciated!! thanx fellas. [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Mike "Just Playin" Starky 5-17-03 See you agian someday homey.

STR8 HEAT MotorSports: More Deathstyle Than Lifestyle

90 Notch in the worx...

Posts: 214 | From: SanJose Ca | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to make this for my fox.
 -

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
See how he can even take his headlight out and have direct ram air.

--------------------
Support our troops!

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is that home made or is there a kit like that?

thats the ram air i was thinking of also on my 86 [worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

[worship] [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com