Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Engine Builders, Turbo Kits

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Engine Builders, Turbo Kits
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im gonna be purchasing a new motor right quick.

Im looking to builda decent street car (hence reliable) sometihng that can be driven a couple times a week and to work every once in a while without too much hassle.

This is what i was thinking.

327 Shortblock
AFR 165CC Heads
Stock GT Cam
Cobra Intake

some sort of Twin or Single Turbo setup running around 8PSI

First question is who is a good engine builder? Or should i just order from DSS or CHP.

Second who makes turbo kits for a 5.0? I was looking at Turbo Technology outta Tacoma Wahsington, they make botha single and twin setup.

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fiveohmike:
Im gonna be purchasing a new motor right quick.

Im looking to builda decent street car (hence reliable) sometihng that can be driven a couple times a week and to work every once in a while without too much hassle.

This is what i was thinking.

327 Shortblock
AFR 165CC Heads
Stock GT Cam
Cobra Intake

some sort of Twin or Single Turbo setup running around 8PSI

First question is who is a good engine builder? Or should i just order from DSS or CHP.

Second who makes turbo kits for a 5.0? I was looking at Turbo Technology outta Tacoma Wahsington, they make botha single and twin setup.

Mike

do you want a custom cam that is made for a turbo?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look at these companies through my link
http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbo_links.htm

i would suggest the hp kit, which is a new company and is not listed on those links, talk to 93pony, i think he will agree that hp would be a great choice, and it looks dope as fuck right out the box, all ceramic coated

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree, look at these companies:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/turbo_links.htm [patriot]

turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would recommend Turbo Technology (ask for Jim Boone). They have a race kit and a street kit. The reason I say this is because their kits are proven and I have their race kit on my Mustang and turbo50 (Norman Chang) also ran their race kit for years with no problems. Turbo Technology has been making turbo kits for Mustangs for over 13 years and their customer service is excellent, when they say you'll have your kit in 3 to 4 weeks, you will have it (this is a benefit of going through an established company). I've heard mixed opinions about the other (newer) companies, the turn-around time isn't always what they promise, parts missing, etc. [Frown]
What I would recommend for you is their street kit, it'll make up to 600hp, (I think the turbo size is a 60-1 with the st kit). Keep your stock cam, you can make over 500hp with it, you don't need the 327 stroker (save the $ and go with the 306, the turbo makes a ton of torque). You don't need a lot of exotic engine parts with the turbo, just a solid foundation. Put the stroker $ toward a tuning aid (like a chip, PMS, EPEC, SDS, etc.) I like the flexibility of the PMS.
- turbo302 Sheldon
Big Boy Racing Fabrication

P.S. If you want to know more about what a 302 can do, go to the drag forums and look at my post "Thanks Norman".

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

jackass lol.......bet no one even caught that

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMAO i didnt catch that either...heheh good one.

someone not a turbo fan?

Mike

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jayl:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

jackass lol.......bet no one even caught that
I did just didn't want to ruin the surprise [Smile]

--------------------
Support our troops!

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bob Anderson Motor Sport
389 Quarry Road
San Carlos, CA 94070
(650) 591-7961
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=20531842&ck=4009207864&tab=B2C&tcat=7843873&addr=2150+n.+first+street&city=San+Jose&state=CA&zip=95131-2020&country=us&msa=7400&slt=37.376453&sln=-121.920294&cs=9&stat=:pos:2:regular:regT:19:fbT:1

He built my 347 and I highly recommend him. He can build you a short block for less than you would pay for a crate motor, and that's with all forged internals and FMS parts.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO NOT HAVE CHP DO ANY OF YOUR MOTOR WORK AT ALL. IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY FROM THEM THEN ONLY BUY THE PARTS AND HAVE SOMEONE ELSE DO THE WORK. THEY JUST FLAT OUT SUCK.

Now with that said, try out Innovative Turbo Systems and see what kind of kits they have for a fox body. (i believe they actually have a guy working there by the name of Richard Head)

Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with chris i have only herd horror stories from CHP. [patriot]

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fiveohmike:
LMAO i didnt catch that either...heheh good one.

someone not a turbo fan?

Mike

Well it looks like my trojan horse was discovered [Big Grin] [dance]

Since there are very very very few turbo 5.O guys running around, I would take turbo302's advice so you'll have someone local to talk to and compare notes with [patriot]

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not just talk to the people you're going to purchase the kit from? they know more about turbos than someone who doesn't work with turbos every day of their life.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com