Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SMOG HELP???? CAN'T MAKE IT PASS??? HELP??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOG HELP???? CAN'T MAKE IT PASS??? HELP??
89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SIDWAZGT  Ford pictures for 89SIDWAZGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok here's the deal I'm trying to sell my 89 GT that I just put a crate motor in that has an E303 in it, I just got a valve job and it has a 65MM TB, other than that it's stock, What could be wrong? I need help, or a smog....Please help I want to get rid of this thing.

Dom

Posts: 239 | From: South San Jose | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you have the stock exhaust set-up and you can't get it to pass?

I find that hard to believe.

--------------------
Support our troops!

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What part of the test did you fail? Could just be something easy like a dirty/bad egr.

Cough up the specifics and maybe we can help.

I've also had a couple different people say Berryman's cleaner will do the trick.

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SIDWAZGT  Ford pictures for 89SIDWAZGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a BBK H Pipe with Cat's and Flows, Maybe the cats are bad? The printout says this:

At Idle 793 rpm
0.33% CO 2000 PPM HC

5.3% CO2 12.9% O2

2954 rpm

1.57% CO 441 PPM HC

11.3 CO2 4.3% O2

I don't know what they all mean?

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My throttle emissions looked like that and it was the cats. Could also be bad O2's as well. If that is the only part of the test you are failing, my money would be on the cats.

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy new cats that will get anything to pass the sniffer.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

I have stock H Pipe but I'm afraid that might be bad too! So I guess I'll try to read the codes on it first and see if that works, then it's process of elimination, Thanks for all the help, keep the sugestions coming.
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put some new cats on there. The high HC (hydrocarbon) readings show the cats aren't doing their job. If your engine was running too rich the CO (carbon monoxide) readings would be higher. 5-6% CO is a fairly rich engine. Your CO readings are fairly low. However, the low CO readings and the high HC may mean your engine is running too lean and judging from the low CO2 readings and the high O2 readings, it looks like you have a vacuum leak somewere. Replacing the cats should clean up the HC readings.
Did your car actually have the somg test run? If so, with the HC readings you have your car should have been labeled a "gross polluter" which means a smog certificate can only be issued at a "test only" facility once the repairs have been made. Good luck.

[ May 15, 2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: saleenfan ]

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cats use oxygen(02) to reduce HC and CO. Those numbers tend to indicate that the cats arent using all of its oxygen to reduce HC and CO(eventhough CO is not excessive at idle). As others have said a set of cats may be the answer, if you want to make sure a good smog tech should be able to check the cats. Hope this helps.
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

To answer some questions, I did just pre test it so I'm ok so far, I guess I'll try cats first and go test it again, I just don't know any ford guys that can help me....Thanks again guys.
AcesWild85
¯
Member # 2616

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AcesWild85  Ford pictures for AcesWild85    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got my stock H-pipe just sitting in storage if you want to borrow it for smog. My car passed smog right before I bought it last june. Hopefully my bassani 2 cat x will do the trick next year when i have to pass again...

--------------------
College student and U.S. Marine; The possibilities are endless...

Mustangs aren't built; they're born!

Posts: 844 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First things first,
The high rpm test is invalid, maximum rpm for that test is 2800 rpm
Secondly, it shows that you are running 793 rpm w/e-cam, you should raise the idle up to around 900-950 rpm
Thirdly, the advise of putting new cats on a car the runs 2000+ ppm hc at idle is not only wrong, it's fucking retarded [Roll Eyes] If you put new cats on a car running that poorly, you'll be lucky to get it back to the smog shop before the new ones are ruined.
While it is possible that the cats are bad, I would fix the problem FIRST
What is the timing at? my guess would be 14-16 BTDC, set it to 8 BTDC
The 12.9% O2 is way too high even for an air pump equipped vehicle, you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Judging from your "invalid" high rpm readings you're running too rich, check you O2 sensor ground wire (located on the back of the driverside head) Have the O2's ever been replaced? What size injectors? What's the fuel pressure set at?

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
First things first,
Secondly, it shows that you are running 793 rpm w/e-cam, you should raise the idle up to around 900-950 rpm
Thirdly, the advise of putting new cats on a car the runs 2000+ ppm hc at idle is not only wrong, it's fucking retarded [Roll Eyes] If you put new cats on a car running that poorly, you'll be lucky to get it back to the smog shop before the new ones are ruined.
The 12.9% O2 is way too high even for an air pump equipped vehicle, you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Judging from your "invalid" high rpm readings you're running too rich, check you O2 sensor ground wire (located on the back of the driverside head) Have the O2's ever been replaced? What size injectors? What's the fuel pressure set at?

Brian

Listen to the professional mechanic. He is pretty smart. My first thought was what FP thru what injectors?

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
First things first,

Brian

[worship] Great Advise! [patriot] ........I do have to disagree about the timming though....It makes sense that its probably off, but a good smog tech would set the car to the standard 10* timming for the test, right?...

[ May 16, 2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Darth Vetter
¯
Member # 2458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darth Vetter  Ford pictures for Darth Vetter  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pay the extra $$$ and get an illegal smog within the next month b4 the new dyno smog law takes affect in june....if you wait that long you might be stuck with that car, i just had to do the same thing with my 87 gt that im selling.

--------------------
01 SHM Saleen S281 (SOLD)
65 Fastback
84 Vette
98 Lincoln

WWW.BLACKTRAX.NET

Posts: 2021 | From: san jose, ca | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
[worship] Great Advise! [patriot] ........I do have to disagree about the timming though....It makes sense that its probably off, but a good smog tech would set the car to the standard 10* timming for the test, right?...

While the original factory spec was 10*, there was actually a recall through out the 80's and early 90's that changed the spec to 8* due to a rash of emission failures. FWIW, I AM a good smog tech and have been one for over 10 years. No, I don't do "illegal" smogs

Brian

[ May 16, 2003, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

double post

[ May 16, 2003, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

sh*t

[ May 16, 2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

My timing is set at 10, I'm running 91 octane, do you think running the codes will help? Like I sadi in the previous emails everything else is stock, except the cam and TB. I just need to get this done I'd pay for one to get done but can't find anyone.....
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89SIDWAZGT:
My timing is set at 10, I'm running 91 octane, do you think running the codes will help? Like I sadi in the previous emails everything else is stock, except the cam and TB. I just need to get this done I'd pay for one to get done but can't find anyone.....

What is your Fuel Pressure? What injector are you running?
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock thermostat, 180 or 160?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
89SIDWAZGT
¯
Member # 1502

I'm not sure what a stock t stat is? I'm pretty sure I have a 160? My fuel pressure is stock?
Has anyone used clean power before??

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Install stock temp unit back in. The hotter the car runs the lower the emission level. Ask the Brain for assurance.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89SIDWAZGT:
I'm not sure what a stock t stat is? I'm pretty sure I have a 160? My fuel pressure is stock?
Has anyone used clean power before??

What you need to do is re-install the stock four cat h-pipe and go down to the smog station. You can take something like a pre test where even if you fail it doesnt go on your record and it doesn't go to the referee but if you pass it doesn't count either. I would do that and see the results with the stock catted pipe. If it passes the pre test then pay for the real smog test and you should pass. Bump your timing they never check. Put in 91plus fuel and maybe an octane booster and you should be good to go. [patriot]

[ May 16, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: 91sleeper ]

--------------------
Support our troops!

SWANGaLANGIN_50
¯
Member # 2061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWANGaLANGIN_50  Ford pictures for SWANGaLANGIN_50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DVblownS281:
Pay the extra $$$ and get an illegal smog within the next month b4 the new dyno smog law takes affect in june....if you wait that long you might be stuck with that car, i just had to do the same thing with my 87 gt that im selling.

Check PM's please!

--------------------
http://www.cafords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00002061

Posts: 141 | From: East Bay, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com