Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Lowered Stangs look here....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lowered Stangs look here....
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For those of you that have lowered you own Stangs, what did you guys do about the rear axle rubber pinion snubber?....

I have replaced the stock snubber with the smaller one that came with my springs...I also have taken off the "dog bone" axle balancer and the connected bump stop...

Here's the problem...My driveshaft rubs!!....With the dog bone bump stop installed I have less then 2" of suspension travel before the rubber pinion snubber hits....I dont want to be bouncin off the snubber all the time...

What did you guys do and is your driveshaft rubbing or are any of you ridding on your rubber pinion snubber?.. [Confused]

Thanx-Rob

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
O1sscamaroguy
¯
Member # 2775

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O1sscamaroguy  Ford pictures for O1sscamaroguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sell your 5.0 and get a LS1. My drive shaft never rubs. Seriously, so is that the problem is the snubber bottoms out and your driveshaft hits. If so we can go to the junkyard and get stock springs. hahaha! dude i got the new Jegs catalog, 5.0's now has 10 full pages of parts, while the LS1's have about 5 parts total. Hey Rob can you tell me why that is? [Big Grin]

--------------------
O1 Camaro SS (pos) - 95 Bagged & Shaved Suburban - 63 Pro Street Nova - 93 S-10 Slammed, Shaved & Tangerine Candy paint -- Life is Too $hort to drive an ugly car
12.6 @ 113 w/a 1.99 60ft. 3.73, Cam, Headers, Tuning, 17x11 w/315 w/SVO #30 injectors see im DOWN Dyno'd 400hp & 400tq (it's dead)
And to think I was going to sell the SS and get an 03 Cobra - NEVER - well maybe now want to trade for a 01 SS

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That 8" wide FMS driveshaft sucks for lowered cars doesn't it?

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

O1sscamaroguy
¯
Member # 2775

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for O1sscamaroguy  Ford pictures for O1sscamaroguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
8"? in diameter? [Confused] Ive seen the FMS driveshaft it is 3.5" diameter. Which is the same as stock right Rob? What do your bushings look like on the control arms? So is it rubbing on the tunnel of the e-brake bracket?

--------------------
O1 Camaro SS (pos) - 95 Bagged & Shaved Suburban - 63 Pro Street Nova - 93 S-10 Slammed, Shaved & Tangerine Candy paint -- Life is Too $hort to drive an ugly car
12.6 @ 113 w/a 1.99 60ft. 3.73, Cam, Headers, Tuning, 17x11 w/315 w/SVO #30 injectors see im DOWN Dyno'd 400hp & 400tq (it's dead)
And to think I was going to sell the SS and get an 03 Cobra - NEVER - well maybe now want to trade for a 01 SS

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by O1sscamaroguy:
8"? in diameter? [Confused] Ive seen the FMS driveshaft it is 3.5" diameter. Which is the same as stock right Rob? What do your bushings look like on the control arms? So is it rubbing on the tunnel of the e-brake bracket?

I doubt its the same diamter as the stock drive shaft considering that one is made of steel and the FMS one is made of aluminum. It's only common sense that the aluminum driveshaft would have to be bigger.

[ May 14, 2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: 91sleeper ]

--------------------
Support our troops!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
quote:
Originally posted by O1sscamaroguy:

I doubt its the same diamter as the stock drive shaft considering that one is made of steel and the FMS one is made of aluminum. It's only common sense that the aluminum driveshaft would have to be bigger.
Its exactly the same size in diameter as the stock 94 drivshaft I pulled off...I measured it twice...I wanst going to get the FMS driveshaft, but I found out its the same size as my stock one...

I did put back on the plate on the top of the "dogbone" back on (thats what I meant by dogbone bump stop) and it still rubs!...

No problem, I guess I'm just gonna go under the car and take an air hammer to the trans tunnel! [Wink]

--------------------

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hahaha! dude i got the new Jegs catalog, 5.0's now has 10 full pages of parts, while the LS1's have about 5 parts total. Hey Rob can you tell me why that is? [Big Grin] [/QB][/QUOTE]

umm?5.0's been around on the streets longer and ls1's havent. [Roll Eyes] big market out there for fox body mustangs [Wink]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What springs did you go with? If you say eibach then thats your problem dude.

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TOPnotch:
What springs did you go with? If you say eibach then thats your problem dude.

I do have an Eibach Pro-Kit, but it rubbed with the H&R's I had in before...

[ May 14, 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------

O1sscamaroguy
¯
Member # 2775

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O1sscamaroguy  Ford pictures for O1sscamaroguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Rob if you want, I got a compresser and a huge air hammer at my house (mini jack hammer), we could modify [Frown] your trans tunnel. If that doesn't work we could use a oxy torch. and in worse case senerio, we could go down to central cheverolet and see how much a used Z28 cost [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com