Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gutting a catted h-pipe...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gutting a catted h-pipe...
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My h-pipe is tripping the SES light, so I might as well gut the cats.

Has anyone out there done this before?

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you replaced your rear O2's with MIL eliminators? If not this is the probably the reason for the light on your dash. If you did not re-install your post cat 02's or even got them mixed up and installed a front 02 in the back or vise versa this may also turn on a light. Your front(before cats) O2's see a varying O2 content, rich/lean/rich/lean,etc but your rear(after cats) O2's want to see a constant 02 content, if the computer sees too much "activity" on the rear 02's it will turn on the light. Gutting the cats probably will not solve the problem.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the codes scanned, and decreased cat efficiency is causing my problem; so yeah, I'm going with mil elims after I figure out how to remove the element in the converters. I figure, if the cats are failing, I might as well gut em and reinstall the stock pipe when it's time to smog the car-essentially make my own offroad pipe.

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

y2kgt01
¯
Member # 1257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for y2kgt01  Ford pictures for y2kgt01    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a redneck at some shop i was at one time said the best way was to put some oil in the cats and rev it up. or wait maby it was for mufflers either way i wouldnt make it ur first choice
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're going to buy MILs and the H pipe on your car is already aftermarket then just sell the H pipe and go with off road exhaust. Catted pipes are more expensive than off road ones so it wouldn't cost you much. You'll gain power and your car will sound much better.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1slowLX gutted the cats and is selling the pipe with the gutted cats right now in the ford sale section as a matter of fact, I would hit him up with a pm and ask him how he went about it [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It wasn't hard at all. My buddy is a great welder so he cut it and then we gutted them. You will be surprised how much shit is in there. After we gutted them we welded it back up.
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't do it! Its a complete redneck thing to do. Go look in the mirror. If your belly sticks out, you have a filthy NASCAR baseball cap on and there are crushed beer cans next to the base of your toilet, then be my guest, gut your cats. Otherwise, buy an off road H pipe and keep your stock one for SMOG day.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey when they are clogged they are clogged. I mean if you already have the H-pipe there that is 2.5 inches why not gut the cats if you need the motor to get a little more air?
It worked good for me and looks good

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they're truly clogged, then that's a different story, but how many miles can a near stock '99 GT have on it? Not enough to plug the cats, thats for sure.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

You are right I thought mine were clogged. Well it ran a lot better with them gone.

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Don't do it! Its a complete redneck thing to do. Go look in the mirror. If your belly sticks out, you have a filthy NASCAR baseball cap on and there are crushed beer cans next to the base of your toilet, then be my guest, gut your cats. Otherwise, buy an off road H pipe and keep your stock one for SMOG day.

[Whoo Whooooo!]
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My Sean Hyland pipe took a shit, not my stock unit.

As a result, I would rather gut the cats on the aftermarket pipe-again, the faulty one-to avoid the expense of buying a new offroad pipe.

If the cats (2) on the Sean Hyland pipe aren't efficient, why not transform it into an offroad pipe.

Hope this clears things up [Whoo Whooooo!]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com