Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 five speeds ? whats what

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.0 five speeds ? whats what
O1sscamaroguy
¯
Member # 2775

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O1sscamaroguy  Ford pictures for O1sscamaroguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im trying to learn about the different available 5 speeds out there i know there are about three or four; Tremec, TKO, 3550, T5. but whats the best and what is capable of handling 400-450 hp. is the king corba clutch capatible with all five speeds or just a few? im trying to learn. thanks

--------------------
O1 Camaro SS (pos) - 95 Bagged & Shaved Suburban - 63 Pro Street Nova - 93 S-10 Slammed, Shaved & Tangerine Candy paint -- Life is Too $hort to drive an ugly car
12.6 @ 113 w/a 1.99 60ft. 3.73, Cam, Headers, Tuning, 17x11 w/315 w/SVO #30 injectors see im DOWN Dyno'd 400hp & 400tq (it's dead)
And to think I was going to sell the SS and get an 03 Cobra - NEVER - well maybe now want to trade for a 01 SS

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're looking at 400 hp, skip the T5. I would go right to the TKO, as it's rated at 425-475 ft/lbs depending on the specific model. The 3550 is rated at 350-375. The difference however is that you will need a new clutch disc and driveshaft yoke with the TKO, but you can use what you have now with a 3550. You will hear plenty of people say they run 500+ hp through a 3550, so if you don't beat on it, it's possible.

www.brothersperformance.com
www.ddperformance.com

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 3550 will have zero problems at the 400-450 hp level, dragraced on slicks with a geared rear end.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Skip the T-5 hassles... [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3550, if you got the cash, TKO! [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
3550, if you got the cash, TKO! [Big Grin]

[patriot] I bought the TKO when I did my conversion and never looked back. I couldnt be happier. I power shift all day long on my blown 302 and it hasnt given me a bit of problems.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
The 3550 will have zero problems at the 400-450 hp level, dragraced on slicks with a geared rear end.

thats starting to push it tho. If you got the extra cash id go with the TKO

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had good luck with my proshifted T5 with straight cut gears noisy but it has held up alot better than my last 3350.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a tko and not have to worry about it
i wouls also get a spec clutch

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com