Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » got my coupe dynoed (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: got my coupe dynoed
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well I got my 89 coupe dynoed and yup the number sucked
it was only dynoed at 232rwhp
it has 306 short block
eddelbroke (6025) rpm performer heads with the 2.02 valves
1.6 rr,e-cam,gt40 intake with the bottom fully ported,bbk shorties, bassani x-pipe,2chamber flows,pullies,30#injectors, 75mm MAF, 70mm throddle body,

I was figurering this combo would give me at least 280rwhp

At first I thought maybe I had a burnt valve or may be some bad rings, so when I got home I did a compresion test. this is what I got
piston 1 = 160
2 = 163
3 = 164
4 = 160
5 = 158
6 = 158
7 = 164
8 = 160
so every thing looks good

im thinking my E-cam which is used , may not be enough cam for the heads

what do you guys think, should I go with a higher cam, some thing like a x-cam ? what cam would be good for NOS

on the dynoe the car peak power came at 4500 then it went flat

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my e-camed 306, gt40x heads, and holley intake made 290rwhp with a tko behind it, i think u have a bigger problem than the e cam

but maybe not, just my observation is the e cam is good for atmost 300rwhp

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn!!!, something is definately wrong.....

I have a stock long block (stock~heads & cam) and I hit 255rwhp....

Even with my stock cam and heads my power peaked at 5300rpm.....

What was your air/fuel ratio like?....Do you have a catted X-pipe?...What was your base timming,10*?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did your air fuel ratio look like? How did changing timing affect RWHP?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

What was your air/fuel ratio like?....Do you have a catted X-pipe?...What was your base timming,10*?...

I thought you had an E cam? [Confused]
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well if I do have a bigger problem
I dont now where to start looking right now

maybe a change in spark plug wires, and coil
I dont now how old they are but when I bought my car they came with it.
But I think im goin to swap out the cam.
with a TFS 2

the motor runs really nice and smooth.
idle's great, and when I get on it it responds great,The only bad thing is im runing stock gears 273 so it takes alittle longer to rev

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

No cats, base timing was at 10 then byron put it at 12 but i only gained 2rwhp he said my over all timing was 31

the air fuel ratio was fine according to byron
he also did not now why i was low on power
he said only thing hecouldthink of was maybe a burnt valve . thats why I did the compression test which looks great.
he also said maybe the used E-cam could not be good enough for the heads

hmmmm?

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Can you post a picture of the graph?
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Can you post a picture of the graph?

I was so pissed I did not even ask them for one
I figured what the hell is the point
all I now is it went flat at 4500rpm
but the air fuel was good up to 5200rpm's

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

well that's your problem (flat after 4500 RPM)..... is the throttle body not opening up all the way? Exhaust restricted some how?
jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats what i was talkin to your brother about before we left javi, but he said you guys checked and it was opening all the way.......hmmm, hope you get it fixed soon

thanks for the entertainment for like 6 hours!! haha........good luck man [Big Grin]

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
quote:

I thought you had an E cam? [Confused]
SAWSON~~~~~I have never had a cam....I do have 1.7RR's though...

[ May 04, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
SAWSON~~~~~I have never had a cam....I do have 1.7RR's though...

Riceboy shop dyno reads 15-20 rwhp high then [Big Grin]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Maybe your cam was installed wrong?...Did you degree your cam?...If you have too much lifter-preload you open the valve's a lot longer, giving you a lower power-band also...How is your idle?....

If these seem like stupid questions, I'm just "brain-storming"...

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what was the rear wheel torque????

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I couldnt help notice that you said you have a used e-cam. WHere did you get it from and are you sure it is a real E-cam or since you are flatening out at 4500 it might be a stock cam with a e-stamped on it by the seller i have seen this alot in the used cam 5.0 market with stock cams being labeled with the e,f and x cam designation. As for the rumor about a e cam maxing at 300 hp i think that is a bunch of crap i have personally seen a 306 with ported tfs wedge heads extrude honed gt40 lower and downs upper and a e cam hit the rollers at 353 rwhp in socal.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont know if thats fake or not, but that cam lobes hella hard..........definitely not stock!

--------------------
8.5's TTFBitch!

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only other thing i can think of is the cam timing.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd check cam timing, lifter preload, & intake/exhaust restrictions.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how is the block?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Even if he got a stock 5.O cam, it will peak at almost 5K RPM, not 4500. Here is my stock motored AOD car with only underdrive pullies and 3 chamber flowmasters with 160,000 miles on the clock:

-

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

the block is just rebuilt
it has only 1000 miles on it

well I can only think of the cam being the issue here, it was used. It cam out of a motor that trew a rod. It was hard to take it out. Maybe it got bent or something.

I thought about cam timing but I now I lined it up I double checked that.

well Im goin to go with a TFS stage 2 cam
my eddlebroke heads can take a 557 lift

im also goin to change my coil and plug wires\
just for good mesure

Hey JAYL I got the NOS goin
the damm fuel bit was pluged up

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you 100% sure you have an E-cam? Going flat at 4500rpm sounds like a truck (F150 or Explorer) cam.
Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know if this is a stretch, but if you want it fixed for real, call Jon M. or Brian (thebrain), both professional wrenches.

Otherwise we can guess at you a few hundred times until you find it yourself [Big Grin]

one thing to check is that you're firing on all 8, drop some water on all the header primaries while it's running, see what you get.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

jayl
¯
Member # 185

im sure its torn down by now, javi doesnt seem to waste anytime! and i dont see how a stock cam could sound even close to this beastly shit!!! sounds like a solid roller car i know of! lol

--------------------
8.5's TTFBitch!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com